Jerome
Lv 6
Jerome asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 5 months ago

Why is the democracy in the Middle east not more welcoming and open like the democracy in the west?

Why is harder for some Jews to gain entry into Israel?

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Rabbis-making-it...

9 Answers

Relevance
  • TNO
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, for starters, this article you posted about isn't about Jews having a harder time entering Israel. The issue is actually taking place after they're granted entry and given citizenship, but I can see where you could get confused. The issue here is that the Rabbinical Courts are being strict with their definitions of who is a Jew, which may not include may of those the secular government of Israel admits as Jews. In practical terms, this does nothing except make it difficult to marry another Jew within Israel, as that's the one thing religious courts have a monopoly on. In terms of democracy, this technically is a separate issue until we get to the issue of whether or not the Israelis can use a democratic procedure to change the laws. Which, people try to do, however it has yet to succeed within Israeli society. There is a strong religious influence, and I'm not just talking about a Jewish one (as Christian-Muslim unions are also frowned upon and the Druze also abhor intermarriage).

In terms of democracy, and ignoring a social issue of Israel's, Democracy in the Middle East tends to be weaker than that of the West because it's relatively new to most places. Even some the ideals from which our Western democracy was born are new to the area, which makes adopting our style of governance a bit newer. One has to keep in mind that the Middle East has a history of kings and dictators, and the colonial period isn't so long ago that it doesn't exist in living memory. For some places, it's within my own living memory that they've become democracies, so we really can't expect most places to be so open.

Furthermore, it's not a democratic issue for a lot of places but a social issue. Many of these nations are used to strict religious rule, so they're not welcoming to secular or deviating policies or people. For example, when you say "welcoming" or "open" I think the LGBT community, which is criminalized most places in the Middle East. You may find this strange, but I do think of Israel as far more welcoming and open akin to a Western Democracy than one in the Middle East. The marriage issue is a strange thing, but not one that takes away a person's democratic voice. It's not like Lebanon, where the three most important positions have to be filled with people belonging to a specific religion. A Shi'ite Muslim can't become Prime Minister there, whereas they legally can in Israel. Israel at least allows people to go abroad and have their marriages done there validated, so the only issue is technically who performs the marriage. It's still a huge inconvenience and Israel needs a secular option, but as other couples are welcome in their legal framework we can still call them opening and welcome. If we ignore this unique marriage Israel, it won't look different than most democracies even those in the West.

• Robert
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

Thanks BMCR for taking the trouble to point that out - and sincerely appreciated.

• Robert
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

Hello Jerome,

In the Asker's question-details they wrote:

"... some Jews ...".

My response:

The rules apply to all, not "some", applicants.

In their question, the Asker wrote "in the West".

My response:

The requirements for Germany are arguably far stricter:

- - - - Start of extract: - - - -

[Applying for] German Citizenship by Descent

The second type of German citizenship is by right of blood or Jus Sanguinis. This means that you have at least one German parent and it does not take into account whether you were born in Germany or not. You get the German citizenship by descent if your parents register you to the German authorities in the country you are born before you turn one year old. If your parents have different nationalities, you get the German citizenship; however, between the ages of 18 and 23 years old, you will have 5 years to decide which nationality you want to retain.

In addition, if your parents are divorced, then you can get German citizenship by descent only if your parent recognizes you as their legal child by the rules of German law.

You cannot get German citizenship if you were born in a foreign country and your German parents were also born in a foreign country after January 1st, 2000. This rule can be surpassed only if you as the child would be stateless if the German authorities did not accept you and give you a German citizenship. In addition, you cannot claim German citizenship through any other ancestors except your parents, including German citizenship through grandparents.

Another instance where you can get German citizenship through ancestry is if you were adopted by German citizens as a child under 18 years old.

https://www.germany-visa.org/german-citizenship/

- - - - End of extract - - - -

I hope this helps.

Robert.

• Robert
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

The Asker uses the words "gain entry" and I have responded regarding gaining citizenship, since that is to what he appears to refer with his link. To gain citizenship on the basis of being Jewish one must prove they are Jewish. Israel also has Arab citizens.

• 4 months ago

Because Jewish men are not allowed to touch a woman, even if she is their wife, The girls have to be at the back of the buses, behind chicken wire, they are not allowed to work or get educated and also when they have sex it is done through a tiny small slit hole on a bed sheet. bye bye

• BMCR
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Your "question" has nothing to do with the news article you linked to.

I'd explain why, but its actually ground we covered before which, in your by-now-typical method, completely misunderstood or ignored.

See https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20190...

• Robert
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

The only example of Apartheid is in the areas controlled by the Palestinians, since the Palestinians put to death any Jew that they find near there:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_kidnapping_and_murder_of_Israeli_teenagers

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

You raise a fair point.

Israel sadly has a very strict and unwelcoming ethno-religious nationalistic streak imposed by the ultra-Orthodox and Religious Zionist minority voting block.

Israel was originally founded on mostly secular Labor Zionist values and even David Ben Gurion said that anyone who identifies as a Jew (by a much less religious or ethnic standard) should be able to immigrate and be part of the Jewish national homeland.

America will always be the most welcoming country for immigrants in the West, followed by countries like Canada, Australia, the UK, France, Germany, Scandinavia etc.

Israel's 20% or so ultra-Orthodox population vote as a religious block and drag an otherwise Western and democratic country more towards being some crazy Iran. It's a very hot topic of discussion among seculars in Israel.

• Robert
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

Skyline - Israel is entitled to check if someone is validly Jewish and this is according the Orthodox rules; while doing so may seem extreme to you, they are simply following Torah. To gain citizenship on the basis of being Jewish one must prove they are Jewish. Israel also has Arab citizens.

• 5 months ago

Honestly I don't give a crap about them. The only thing I want them to do is leave our taxpayers money alone.

There's a video on YouTube of a few of these jewrabs robbing Bama off 80 billion dollars! At least 500 of these bucks were mine dude!

• 5 months ago

Israel (or Palestine, as most people call the area) is a place of superstition and brainwash.

Read what this Katia Aryeh "person" has to do each month in order to be allowed by her "husband" to come near him.

"I Have to Take My Dirty Panties to a Rabbi" she wrote!

She has to "Bedikah" and take this "Bedikah" to the "Bedikah" tester, (a hairy mustached male) and this "tester" will suck all this blood inside his mouth and give the green light.

Isn't that disgusting ?

• Robert
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

Contributor Local Machine wrote: "Jew Imams, checking the jew girls' tampons? ": There is a test the lady herself carries out to see if her period has fully ended (a test which does NOT involve checking tampons).

• 5 months ago

I did not visit the link but I do understand your question.

I always repeated that Israel is Apartheid, this explains your question about human right laws and democracy.

I will try to explain it in simple words :

Israel, like its neighbours are not countries that are ready to apply democracy for few reasons.

- In Israel treats people based on their ancestry and belief, if you are "pure Jew" your rights will be respected, if you are "Jew", you will be less respected if you are a "convert Jew", poor you.

In the neighbours countries also deal the same.

- Lebanon : you are respected if the governing person is strong like now, the Muslims have more rights because Hizballa rules.

- In Egypt : no rights no democracy, the president just want to keep the chair.

- Syria : less than Egypt but same ****.

Sorry for the language.

• Robert
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

The only example of Apartheid is in the areas controlled by the Palestinians, since the Palestinians put to death any Jew that they find near there:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_kidnapping_and_murder_of_Israeli_teenagers

• 5 months ago

People who move to Israel through Aliyah should be Jewish. Not the weak laws Israel has which allows anyone with a reform or conservative conversion to gain Israeli citizenship. Israel is pretty weak when it comes to religion, sadly. Israel's idea of Jewish identity is very liberal and secular. Its very warped. The rabbis just want to tighten security and ensure that the people who are claiming citizenship into the country are really Jewish. I think its great!

Source(s): Orthodox Jew
    • trancinguy
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

Just thank The God everyday that your parents did not raise you a Jewish adherent.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.