Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 6 months ago

Does taking 5 minutes to switch accounts mean my computer is starting to break down?

I've had my Mac Mini for 6.5 years and it still works great for what I need it for (with an occasional random slowness). I don't usually switch accounts and I did today and it took 5 minutes for the accounts screen to show up...and the same when I switched back. Is it finally time for me to upgrade

Favorite Answer

Could be a bad HDD. older macs used HDDs and not SSDs but it could be a your SSD or RAM going bad. its kinda difficult to test theses things on a mac.

• Mark

It usually means you have a lot of things in your cache (empty it), extra "invisible" software, or a virus.

"Does taking 5 minutes to switch accounts mean my computer is starting to break down?"

Do you mean a hardware failure? Not likely. Do all the usual maintenance routines (Disk Utility verify, check for full startup disk – needs at least 15% available – etc.).

You say nothing about some unknown "accounts" that you might use or sign in from that computer. Have you contacted the company about problem switching "accounts" there? They might be having the delay.

" it still works great for what I need it for" - what more do you want?