how does nuclear proliferation increase the risk of "accidental war"?

Favorite Answer

You can't figure that out for yourself? Obviously , the more people/countries that have nuclear weapons, the risk increases because more people have them. That's like asking how does more people owning guns increase the risk of accidental shootings.

• You give good examples although, i myself own guns and the only reason there are accidental shootings is because people are irresponsible, I thoroughly explain gun safety to anyone who shoots on my property before they do shoot, and not once has anyone been shot accidentally on my property.

If one country launches, another country has to launch before the first missile lands and destroys their communications. Refer to EMP consequences.

• P

Because it increases the risk of confusion

with the red button on the coffee machine

For the simple reason that the more nations that have nukes, the more people will be involved in their management. The more involved, the more likely that someone with a grudge will be involved.

I believe nuclear proliferation will not increase the risk of "accidental war" but it will increase the risk of a single nuclear bomb, missile or dirty bomb incident.

Don;t listen to Taylor. He is a nazi who defames other people after blocking them.

Anyway, technically, it doesn't, because every party is well aware of mutually assured destruction

• Ann

Well, I guess if you have lots of nukes, it's possible that someone could press the button accidentally or a government could misinterpret something and press the button or have some crazy guy like Kim.

The same way that a proliferation of swimming pools in an neighborhood increases the risk of drowning.

• Ann

Are you a teacher?

simple odds .......................................................................

There are always a certain percentage of lunatics amongst humans. But a lunatic with a sword is a whole lot less dangerous than a lunatic with a nuclear weapon.