Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesNissan · 1 year ago

Can aftermarket wheels damage a transmission?

My boyfriends 2015 Nissan Altima s sport has had the transmission replace once now under warranty. But now the transmission is going again only a few months later. When he took It to the Nissan dealership the guy told him he couldn’t get a new transmission under warranty because his aftermarket wheels were the cause of It not the car itself and It voids the warranty. I’m just dumbfounded and think the guy was just upset that the wheels were locked when he was trying to do the three point inspection. My boyfriend said he was going to take It to another dealership for a second opinion and the guy said he was sending It to Nissan so all the dealerships would know not to give him a new transmission all because of some rims!

• 1 year ago

Just to let you know, depending on the size of the aftermarket wheels, they can cause stress on the tranny that can cause premature failure. being that it's an Altima, I'm going to assume he is running 19" or bigger, If so, I would say yes. Another problem with bigger wheels is that they tend to weigh more. However, it wouldn't fail that fast. Also, your boyfriend's biggest mistake is not doing his homework before he bought a 2015 Altima. He would've known that they have been plagued with transmission and engine issues since 2002. Even a 2019 Altima owner is driving on borrowed time.

• F
    1 year ago

I would have thought any wheels that will fit the wheel arches without rubbing, would not cause a problem with the transmission. If they do, well it's your fault for being an idiot.

I would try, putting the original wheels back on and going to another dealer, denying all knowledge of the other wheels.

• 1 year ago

Larger sized tires with bigger diameter wheels puts more strain on transmission.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Mater Tech
  • 1 year ago

I don't think they are saying the wheels caused the damage.

They are saying the wheels voided the warranty, which is does.... but few dealerships will ever actually not do warranty work on the car with mods. Mods always void the warranty.

You are free to take the car to a different dealer to see if you get different results (unless you have something in writing from Nissan).

• lj1
    1 year ago

They're using that as an excuse to get out of covering the repair. Modern Nissans have horrible CVT transmissions that are made by a Chinese company called Jatco. It's not uncommon for those transmissions to fail at 30-40k miles. Some don't even last that long.

• 1 year ago

Wheels alone? NO, but if he's got fat off road or other oversize tires, yes.

• JetDoc
    1 year ago

I seriously doubt that simply installing aftermarket wheels on a car could void the cars warranty, but I've never read Nissan's warranty documents. You MIGHT want to READ your owner's manual and find the section that tells about contacting the manufacturer about warranty disputes.

• 1 year ago

If all he did was replace the stock tires with new tires the same size, then they can't void the warranty, if he got new rims but kept the rim size and tire size identical to the stock tires then they shouldn't void the warranty. But if he changed the tire size it could damage the transmission because the size of the tire impacts the ideal gear ratios and shift points for transmission function.

New car warranties are all handled at the corporate level, when a car needs repair under warranty the local dealership gets authorization from the corporate headquarters first, then they do the repair and the dealership gets paid by the corporate headquarters.

This is why you can take it for repair at any dealership, not just where you purchased it. And why you can't circumvent them denying your warranty repair by just going to another location.

• WB
    1 year ago

If the after market wheels and rims are the same size and weight as the original, then that wouldn't effect the transmission. Even if they were slightly bigger, they wouldn't effect the transmission. If he put on some huge off road tires, with a lift kit, that could effect the transmission. CV transmissions are weak.

1 year ago

I don't see how ......... Nissan is now a FRENCH company, that could have something to do with it, and made in China.