Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 12 months ago

How do I get motivation to do the things I'm good at?

Hello Iam 31yrs old ,I work 40 hour weeks and I also do hair on the side .When it comes to my passion for writing children's books ,it's like once something goes wrong or I get writers block I give up or watch t.v. etc. Nothing is wrong with what I'm doing but I know there's more to me, I just don't have motivation for my passion anymore just work.

Favorite Answer

If writers were to wait for motivation and inspiration, my guess is that the world would be a great deal of novels poorer. Writing is notoriously hard work and very few writers write on a creative high. The vast majority of us have to force ourselves to place our butts in the chair and write.

This goes for famous, prolific writers as well, and many have various tricks on how to do it, timers, set writing times, rewards, renting a crap hotel room in a boring area with absolutely nothing else to do but to write, or having a writing room with no distractions just a typewriter/block of paper and pen/laptop with no internet connection and not be allowed to leave for two hours etc. etc.

There are also loads of self-help books on the topic.

Bottom line is that if you wait for motivation and inspiration, chances are that you'll never get those books written. So if you want to write, you'll have to force yourself to do it. What helps me is to set a timer to 5 minutes and during those 5 minutes I write without revising or stopping. It doesn't matter if it's crap, as long as I write. Later I do another 5 minutes, then another 5 minutes, until I have my targeted word count (I usually start at 500 words/day and work myself up to 2000 words/day within a week or so). Once I get started I can usually set up the timer to 10 minute rounds, then 15 minutes, and then 20 minutes.

If you write full speed without revising or stopping, you should find that it doesn't take that long at all to reach 1000 words, probably about the same time as it would take you to watch one TV show. I write on average 750-800 words in 20 minutes, and I'm considered slow.

Once you have a first draft down (even if it sucks), then the rest is usually easier to pull yourself together to do.

I'll tell you what works for me: "little but often" and "create a habit, and then the habit creates you".

I think it is Picasso who said "when inspiration comes, let it find you working".

You create a space for that thing in your life, a space for that everyday, and you see it as a happy moment, never as a chore. It doesn't have to be much, in your busiest moments you can reduce it to half an hour a day; but it has to be every-single-day. Use checklists or beginning rituals to help you "tune in" or enter the "zone" quickly. Create a structure that helps you slide into it, and, just like you use your creativity for your writing, improve that structure with new ideas as they come.

Some of those days go well and others go bad. Some of them you will just stare at the wall daydreaming, and others will be very productive. Some of them will be little more than a "filling in the box", but they have their value too, as a symbolic act, and also for the way in which they train your brain. "Discipline is remembering what we love", said Einstein.

The force of habit is powerful, and once you've done it for a while, you'll see that once you skip one of those days, you'll miss it, and perhaps will go "you know what? I planned to skip my stuff today because I thought I would be too crushed, but I've suddenly found this half an hour here and..." We're wired for habit...

Then it's not a 'passion', is it? More of a hobby. Nothing wrong with that.

Writing is work. Passion and motivation alone cannot and will not sustain you. If you love writing and want to make something of it then you need to put a** in chair and write even when unmotivated or struggling. Professional writers don't play the "I have writer's block" card. They simply get their a**es to work.

Heroin works for many people