Can I use super cheap eyepieces with a telescope?

I have a very used telescope I am fixing up a bit, and I am going on a roadtrip out west this week. I didn't promise Hubble or anything, but I am taking the telescope and we are gonna try to use it. Unfortunately my ADHD-addled mind, combined with nonstop work, has yet to actually order eyepieces! I am curios if I can just go to Walmart and buy a $20 telescope that comes with 1.25 in. eyepieces and hijack them for my telescope until such time as I order some quality pieces. I have binoculars, and I may look for an actual store on our way out where I could get some eyepieces, but I'm on a very tight budget and as far as experimenting with this telescope goes, anything is better than nothing! How much would this affect the quality of the viewing? As long as I get like a 25mm piece and something a bit tighter, would I still be able to find some stuf in the sky? or would it be a total waste of money? I really want to get into this stuff, but for next week, anything goes lol, and I know very little about the technicalities of the scopes (Made up for by my expansive knowledge of the night sky! haha)

Favorite Answer

I wouldn't say "anything is better than nothing" if you're trying to get an accurate picture of how well you've fixed up your scope. You might get a lousy eyepiece that makes you think your scope is no good when it is, or you may get a decent eyepiece and still dismiss any problems as being that eyepiece and not your scope. So it's hard to say how it would affect the quality unless you know your scope is in good adjustment.

Having said that, if you use a single low power eyepiece, you might get an idea of whether you've at least got decent collimation. Check Jupiter and see if you can at least focus the major satellites.

• Tom

TRY your CAMERA instead--as ITS lenses will also focus the mirror image---and you can take pictures with it too---Not to mention easier to see on a glowing SCREEN

• daniel g

Not without a camera adapter made for the scope.

I have gone through tests with both types--cheap scope, expensive scope, and very expensive scope.

The front lens or main mirror of most telescopes, even cheaper ones are surprisingly good if the maker was careful and tested them.

Same cannot be said for eye lenses. Here skimping on cost of components and assembly care will make eye lenses really rotten. Always upgrade to a better quality, even when used with a small inexpensive scope.

Source(s): I used good excellent Televue lenses with a $175, 114mm Celestron reflector on Mars 16 summers ago. Fantastic results! But I would not use anything less than a $250 eye lens on my 25 inch dobsonian for any views.
    • Rowan6 months agoReport

Thanks! Yeah ended up ordering some fairly cheap eyepieces (definitely superior to walmart lol) of varying sizes. Will definitely upgrade next, assuming the scope actually works well enough and I don't need a new one!

• Sharon

a Walmart provided eyepiece will be an undependable and worthless piece of junk

• Athena

If you don't want good results.

But then why bother?

The quality of any telescope is about the optics. You go with cheap Chinese glass, you will be faced with chromatic issues, reflections, and aberrations.

Japanese glass is decent and cost effective, there are different types also.

I recently bought a complete set of Japanese Polossle eye pieces for my smaller scope, under $100, and very decent.

What you will see depends on aperture F/D and the power of the eyepiece.

My small scope is 114MM x 1000and 20 X eyepiece, see M31 quite well, nothing like my 300MM scope at the same power.