Something wrong w/ Catholics and their religion? With rare exceptions most Catholics I’ve known are corrupt/sinful. Child molesting priests?

Most Catholics are pretty decent people, dear one. I ought to know., I baptized enough of them myself. The only things wrong with Catholicism are common to most other Christian churches.

All of the Catholics I know are wonderful people; the finest I've ever met. The protestants are all thugs and degenerates. Why is that?

• Jake

Catholicism is the One True Faith. Only the Catholic Church has the fullness of truth. Most Catholics and most Catholic priests are not child molesters. A person can know these things and many other truths by reciting the rosary each day with care.

• Jennifer

And his name wasn't actually Peter....it was Shimon Kefa. He was a Torah-observant Jew his whole life.

well, the problem is that they are not taught that they must be born-again, nor to study the bible for themselves; nor is Jesus really elevated--rather, His mother is and the dead saints are. Therefore, most of them do not have the Spirit of God within them, and thus, they can't be led by Him or taught by Him. and thus, they lack real answers about what God requires of them as well as real conviction of the heart about the things of God.

That is not to say that protestants or "plain born-again Christians" don't sin; everyone does, so that's not the real issue; the priest molesting children is a symptom of the inherent evil of the rcc, which is not based on the bible.

• Bill

cathoilc priests make up just .01% of the polulation of catholics so you really don't know many do you, so how can you make such a bigoted statement

• daniel

Catholics' doctrine on salvation is wrong. They need to be born again as in John 3.

To be honest, I don't think you have met many Catholics if that is your experience. I've known quite a few, since I'm half Latina. The Catholic chuch is very, very popular in Latin countries for some reason. My experience is they are at least on par with non-religious, and most try to be a little better.

I'm actually a United Methodist myself.

Catholics are no worse than other Christians, except the crazy fundies. Those guys are christian talibans.

Everyone is sinful regardless of religion. Catholics are no different from Baptists, Anglicans or Methodists in this.

The percentage of Catholic clergy that molests children is the same as the percentage of clergy in any other religion. This was established by the recent Royal Commission into Institutionalised Child Sexual Abuse in Australia. The problem for the Catholics was not that a small percentage of the clergy was molesting children but that the church covered it up and did not remove the priests from contact with children. Consequently, many of the paedophiles had hundreds of victims.

Half the 2.2 billion Christians in the world are Catholics so they have half the clergy. This means that while the percentage of child abusing clergy is the same, there are far more of them because there are more priests. Even so, the majority of child abusers are not priests, teachers, boy scout leaders etc but fathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers and close family friends. Families are even better at covering up abuse than the churches.

Catholicism was the only Christian religion in western Europe from the development of Christianity to the reformation in the 16th century. If it wasn't for the Catholics, there would be no other Christian denominations apart from the Orthodox and the Coptics.

• Dave D

Chris..... You need professional help. You will not get it by listening to and repeating hateful words of some pastor who does not have a clue about the love for all which Jesus preached.

America... you obviously have not met many Catholics. The vast majority I have met are not like that at all, and I have met thousands upon thousands. Just the fact that you think that child molesting is something confined to Catholic priest is an indication of your naivety. There are over 90,000 registered sex offenders in the State of Texas alone. The VAST majority of child molestation is never reported because it involves family members. ALL positions of authority have a higher incidence of crimes against children, whether it be abuse or molestation.

• Jennifer

The perfidious Jews is in quotes above because that phrase was in the RCC Good Friday prayer until the late 1950's. Catholics should really make themselves aware of their roots--which extends to all protestant denominations, too, since they are rooted similarly with the changed laws they just kept.