Why was this Lightening strike so much louder than the others?

Tonight there was a thunderstorm and I went outside to call the cats in. It was quite exciting lightening, happening frequently and it was relatively loud. But while I was outside watching the sky I heard a deafening bang that actually made my ears ring. I have genuinely never heard anything quite so loud. My mum and brother came down shortly after to talk about it and it apparently shook the house and my brother actually felt it even through his earphones. We worked out it was just under a mile from us by using the counting rule.

I’m just wondering why this one was so much louder than the others, or is it just because it was closer? It sounded different from the other times it thundered because it was more of a short clap than a long growling sound if that makes sense.

Thanks!

Thunder and lightning are like that sometimes.

Don't know, maybe it was closer. Sound is very fast, and perception is not always on time.

• Lightning varies in intensity. The more powerful it is and the closer it is, the more you'll notice it. There's not much more to it than that.