why are bell peppers so expensive. I paid like $3 for one bell pepper?

not sure if I was over charged because I was charged $3 for one bell pepper at publix and i thought they werent supposed to be more than a dollar

• Janet
    Favorite Answer

Prices vary according to the TYPE of bell pepper.

Green peppers are immature peppers, so they are picked sooner, and the farmer can pick a lot more of them than the yellow, orange, or fully-ripe red peppers.

And time of year has some impact on price too. Partially because of harvesting, and partially because of shipping costs (the further away the hot climate is from YOUR store, the more it costs to get it to you .... and peppers require hot weather).

Question is, in most countries (all that I know of), the price has to be written up somewhere on the shelf so you can read it before you buy. What did it read in your case (and, in case the peppers were sold by weight, how much did your pepper weigh)?

Hello

Find another place to do your shopping

Best

• Dimo

Depends on where in the world you are, and what store. I live in La La Land, shop "ethnic" supermarkets, generally pay under a buck a pound for green bell peppers, no more than $2/lb for red bell peppers.

• klypos

That does sound expensive. Often you find that they are cheaper when you buy a pack of 3 or 5, but the best value is usually a bag of frozen ready sliced pepper -and you don't have to bother about the seeds.

Yes,they are extremely overpriced this year.I usually grow my own not hard to do at all.

u must live n russia or china

Bell peppers are harder to grow because there are many steps to making bell peppers. They need to be artificially made very carefully and need a lot of water to stay fresh.

Green peppers should be cheaper, but red, yellow and orange peppers are more expensive as they take longer to ripen and have a shorter shelf life.

If you have a Hispanic grocery near you, try there. You'll get much better prices on peppers and produce in general.

• There is something wrong. A giant bell pepper would weigh maybe 8 oz. Which means they were $6/pound. No place charges that much unless it was some crazy pepper that is not an ordinary one.