Will my landlord/property owner care of I move in late?

Paid everything I needed to and got the utilities switched. I can’t get my stuff moved in for another week or so and I’m not going to move 1500 miles across the country early to stay in empty rooms. I’ve had stuff to deal with in my first location, and I thought I mentioned this when signing. The property owner has contacted me and seems eager to know if I’ve moved in at all yet. Is this an issue I should be sensitive about?

• zipper

Just call him and tell him that your being held up for a week or so. Being ever thing is turned on in your name there should be no problem. But it would be wise to let him know what is happening!

If you are paying rent, etc, they would not care at all.

As long as you pay the rent, the owner has no say / does not care (except for practical items like a cold apartment in winter could grow mold, or an empty apartment looks tempting to vandals). Take the time you need to move. The landlord is probably just being friendly.

It won't be a problem at all. Just call and let the landlord know. You will still owe rent for that time.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

Everything is paid so I do not see why there would be a problem. They may be nervous & thinking you are backing out. Just let them know you are delayed but are still moving in. Communication is key.

• Judy

should be ok. tell him why

• paul

landlord got his money , he does not care what you do with it

As long as you are paying rent, the landlord won't care if you move in later.

But you would be wise to give him/her a heads up, so they don't think something happened if they see the unit not be used.

really? yes, in the US, it is a CRIMINAL offense to not move it on the 1st day of the lease. you will be jailed for life....

in the real world, its a good idea to just let the landlord know when you intend to move in so the LL is aware the unit is empty.

• James

if you paid your rent, it's yours