Hello world through Ethernet Between two different operating systems?

I need to send data back and forth using a server and a client. Something simple to start, just a hello world to the client and a confirmation that the message was received to the server BUT it has to be through an Ethernet cable with one machine using Ubuntu (Linux) and the other on Windows. That is where I'm stuck. How the heck to I do this?

• Lv 7

write software to do it.

You can write a simple TCP or UDP client/server in Python (python is free and is pretty much OS independent). Actually, you can probably just lift the code from the gazillion Python sites that show you how to do this (using you Google machine to find them). I would recommend installing Anaconda Python if you don't have it installed already.

Don't forget that both machines need to be on the same IP subnet and that you either need a switch between the two boxes or a cross-over ethernet cable or one of the ethernet cards in either box has to support auto swapping of ethernet lines internally.

• Dave

We call that email.