Can I get Greek citizenship by descent?

My great grandfather was born in Greece but subsequent generations in my family have born and lived OUTSIDE of Greece and do not themselves have Greek citizenship. Assuming I have all required documents to prove the lineage (record of my great grandfather's birth in Greece from the local municipality, marriage... show more My great grandfather was born in Greece but subsequent generations in my family have born and lived OUTSIDE of Greece and do not themselves have Greek citizenship.

Assuming I have all required documents to prove the lineage (record of my great grandfather's birth in Greece from the local municipality, marriage certificates, etc) is it possible for me to become a Greek citizen?

From the reading that I have done, you can only get Greek citizenship through descent by proving your parent or grandparent were born in Greece (not via a great grandparent as I would like to do).

I know my Dad could get Greek citizenship because it was HIS grandfather (my great grandfather) who was a Greek.

Does this mean my Dad could get citizenship and then I could subsequently use this fact to get citizenship myself (because my Dad by that point would be a Greek citizen by naturalisation I believe)?

Note that I am over 18 and so I believe I wouldn't automatically become a citizen myself and automatically receive my Dad's new citizenship.