promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Jason C asked in Social SciencePsychology · 10 months ago

Is the saying "You can do anything you set your mind to." wrong and a rose colored glasses delusional belief?

Ed Wood had a passion for directing movies and he consistently made glorious awful movies that was not intentional because he wanted to make Great Movies. Tim Tebow can't throw a NFL football long distance in the right area . He is a NFL Bust, and could be a maybe decent Tight-End. Persons have limits and persons can't achieve anything they set their mind to.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Absolutely wrong, and I spoke to our kids' school administration about it.

Yes, it's important for a person to achieve their personal best through hard work paired with education. Many people can go much further than they'd have dreamed.

But my daughter, who's 5'4", will never be a power forward for the NBA. The one who's hearing impaired will not become a rock star. I will not become a famous author.

It's cruel to lead kids into thinking every dream they have is possible.

• Jason C10 months agoReport

Thanks for giving information about why that saying is nonsensical, and a rose colored glasses optimism.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

You're right, of course. You and I could set our minds on flying around the room, but good luck to us. However, there is a grain of truth in it - it truly is amazing what we CAN in fact accomplish. More than we could reasonably expect or anticipate. Sometimes.

• 10 months ago

Both sayings are nonsense and just push people into

what they can't do.

• 10 months ago

Of course, it's ridiculous to take that literally, but there are many cases of people who surprise us. The fact is that people who are pessimistic about what they can achieve are setting themselves up for meager accomplishments.

• ...Show all comments
    • RWPossum
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

Figures of speech based on hyperbole are not taken literally. If I say I'm so hungry I could eat a horse, I don't literally mean I could eat an entire horse for dinner. I think you know that, unless you REALLY have limitations.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

Two examples out of the WHOLE WORLD, not much really.

Edit: if your ambition for yourself and your children is limited to professional sports and popular tv programs, that's not thinking big.

• Jason C10 months agoReport

Remind me again how many persons want to be a great singer and fail on American Idol, along with can't overcome Fear in Fear Factor. You must be a person that disregards any evidence that doesn't support what you want.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.