Republicans: Why are you hating on my common-sense idea?

In a previous post,

I simply suggested that,

while I'm not in favor of raising the minimum wage beyond the rate of inflation,

I am in favor of indexing it to inflation.

(like it is done in many of our states, but it is not done at the federal level.)

I got 3 thumbs down,

and a lot of hateful comments.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20190...

One Conservative said, "A loaf of bread would cost $10."

Oh really?

My home state of Ohio did this back in 2006 and a loaf of bread doesn't cost anywhere near $10 in Ohio. Explain that?

Maybe you should go back and READ THE COMMENTS WHICH WERE POSTED... THEY are self explanatory IF you know how to read...

Why do Republicans hate your idea?

Because it artificially inflates the value of skills and causes wage compression.

Conservatives seem to rely entirely on a short list of buzz words and hot topics with no real understanding or compassion of the ramifications. Example: the huge number of conservatives in the south living on welfare with no health insurance and opposing Obama Care. This idiot sheep are "cutting off their nose to spite their face".

Minimum wage in my city is $15/hour ($16/hour next year) and a decent loaf of bread costs $7.

True fact.

To answer your question, because:

1) Inflation rates vary greatly even between neighboring counties let alone states and federal; and

2) Raising the minimum wage CAUSES inflation.

ETA: "how come inflation has risen at levels far above the increases in minimum wage over the last several decades?" Because minimum wage isn't the only factor in inflation. It doesn't take a genius to know that when employers have increased payroll costs, prices go up.

• Phil Trum

" A decent loaf of bread costs $7." That's not a true fact, that's completely BS. Handcrafted breads may get near that price but not "decent" breads. Make your point some other way, like with real facts. 

• Jeff S

Because Republicans hate common sense!

I don't think they are: Liberals are constantly mistaking "disagreement" with "hate" (or in your case, "hating on").

wages should increase based on the value of the labor and skills....not because you say "people need to make more without having to go through all that hard work stuff..."

this old argument would be like justifying that all school kids should get grades "adjusted according to the difficulty of getting into college." I mean, any kid who shows up to school 5 days a week shouldn't have to take on extra tutoring or do extracurricular activities just to make it into college...right?

meanwhile...in Los Angeles, food prices have increased around 20% since mandated wage increases took effect a couple years ago... fast food prices (you know, the workers you say deserve $30K/yr salaries just for showing up) have increased even more sharply..... a $6 meal at McDonalds in 2015 is now just under $9...

...so maybe before demanding that wages "keep up with inflation" you should take a moment to understand the things that drive up prices...

• jamie6 months agoReport

Most places have much lower prices than LA.

I oppose it because Liberals fundamentally misunderstand what Minimum Wage is supposed to be.

It is not meant to be a living wage. It is just a minimum that people new to the workforce should be paid while they learn how to be a worker. We're talking high school kids, maybe someone working a part-time job to supplement their income, or new immigrants getting their first job.

• Chris

We have not seen runaway inflation in quite a while, but it can and does happen. Indexing wage and price increases automatically to one another is a terrific way to exacerbate an inflation problem and trigger a serious situation. Make sure you own a wheelbarrow, so you can carry enough money to the supermarket when that happens to buy a loaf of bread.

• jamie6 months agoReport

but I'm talking about raising minimum wage to MATCH inflation, not exceed it.

if inflation goes up 1%, minimum wage goes up 1%.
      It's not triggering anything -

(and maybe -- while this is a controversial element to this idea -- I wouldn't mind DECREASING the minimum wage if we have DEFLATION).

TroIoIoIoIoIooIII

• jamie6 months agoReport

no you're the troll.
      I asked a valid question.