Eating at someone's house and paying them - what is the etiquette?

My boyfriend and I argue a lot about this, and he is extremely cheap and want things to be fair all the time. If I eat at his house, he will break down what I eat (for example, "you ate 5 dollars worth of food" - actually breaking down specific item costs). So he expects me to return that and be... show more My boyfriend and I argue a lot about this, and he is extremely cheap and want things to be fair all the time. If I eat at his house, he will break down what I eat (for example, "you ate 5 dollars worth of food" - actually breaking down specific item costs). So he expects me to return that and be completely even and fair when he eats at my place.

He told me this is how all his friends do things, which I find a bit extreme. I am all for being 50/50 as much as we can in a relationship, but not to that extreme at all. He told me his friend who is rarely sees asked him to pay 7$ for the food he ate at his house where which he was invited. I visited his mothers house for a weekend after being invited and he said I ate 20$ worth of food there, so now he expects that from me.

I cannot tell if this is normal? He tries to tell me that is IS normal and most people are just subtle about it. It's having an effect on us for sure. I have never seen the need to be that tit for tat when it comes to eating at someone's place.
Update: I have come to some sort of conclusion that he has a burden complex and lacks generosity and selflessness. He is so mechanical that he does not expect or understand how others can be generous in any way.