Rode for only for 22 miles Sat, at 80. When I got off, my left hand cramped. Could not move thumb for ten minutes. Is it sciatica, age?

Update:

What do I do? I went 280 miles at 80 mph with only one briefer in Gilbert. I didn't have cramping. Tired, Yes. I'm also 62, I've had hip cramps that just came on suddenly. History of RA in my family . Those of Scandinavian blood get it.

Update 2:

Yes AZ. It was only 78 in Mormon Lake where I camped but got up to 109 on I-17.

Thanks for all the Great answers.

Update 3:

I do carry plenty of frozen water I drink, as it thaws, at stops. No stops on I-10 ?

Update 4:

Except You, don. Are you and Pearl competing for Dumbest? "see a doctor" I would IF I had medical. It would be $400.month.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill
    Lv 4
    7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Normal, for us older riders. Comes with age, holding the same hand position for a longer time, and gripping too hard.

If you feel yourself tensing up, just consciously relax. If you can, flex your hand by making a fist then opening up.

Also, stay hydrated. Assume the Gilbert you mentioned is in Arizona so you were riding in the heat.

• 7 months ago

80 years old, 80 MPH, or 80 degrees fahrenheit? See a doctor. All the left hand has to do is hold on and operate the clutch. Your right hand, I hope is OK.

• ...Show all comments
    • Road warrior
      Lv 4
      7 months agoReport

Left hand does Nothing for 22 miles When in top gear at 80. I Could have a '47 with a Foot clutch. ID think U ride..

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

Sciatica has nothing to do with the thumb. The sciatic nerve goes to the leg.

• Tim D
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Guessing – you are gripping too tight, it really is not necessary.

Or you need to adjust your diet to have less salt and more hydration.

• Road warrior
      Lv 4
      7 months agoReport

I Notice it seems to come on right after a meal, yes. I carry froze water everywhere so it might be too much salt.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • fuzzy
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Bit of both. Left hand easy solution - take hand off the grip & open close it a few times every few minutes - right hand a little trickier but can be done (with care)

• Road warrior
      Lv 4
      7 months agoReport

Nee to repair my Cruise control.

• 7 months ago

Too much pressure on your carpal nerve (carpal syndrome)).

Relax your grip and use a little CBD or horse leniment to relax the pressure before and after you ride.

I use a horse liniment called Absorbine gel, works for my 69yo body.

Source(s): Riding/racing for 55+ yrs.
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Get some soft handgrips or wear padded gloves that will absorb some of the vibration.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It's called tension

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.