Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 6 months ago

Is my electric company or my landlord screwing me?

So i have been in the apartment im in for about 4 months. The bill has always been between 50-70. So just a few days ago the air would not cool at all. It got up to over 90 degrees and it was suppose to be way lower than that( i tried to add a pic of my thermostat) they eventually fix it. But now my bill went from 70 to 148. So i contacted ameren and they said the meter usage was doubled. So they couldnt really help me. I contacted the mantinence people that fixed it and they said they did not touch the meter. They replaced the bad breaker and put a hard start kit on the compressor. So im lost at this point.( The 68 is what my thermostat was on the 92 is the degrees in my house in the pic) ameren also said to raise my temp to 78 in the winter. What do i do?

Favorite Answer

No one is screwing you. Your AC unit was running...it just wasn't cooling. So it ran and ran and ran. In the future, when you know your AC isn't cooling, turn it off.

Either get a different apartment or if your landlord would allow it buy a window air conditioner and put it in the window and run it and discard your a.c..

• R P

Neither your landlord nor the power company is screwing you. You used the power, so you are required to pay for it.

The landlord is not responsible for your power usage. The AC unit was not working properly (not cooling) but you allowed it to continue to run thus using more power than it normally would have. Again, your inaction (not turning off the AC unit) caused the additional power usage; your landlord is not responsible for that.

Source(s): FL landlord
  • GEEGEE

Neither. The ac ran 24/7 for days. Plus 68 is very low.... so even when it worked ok it must have run a lot. I live in southern Florida, the Miami area, and I don't set my ac that low. 77 is perfect and I keep the blinds closed during the day and run ceiling fans.

• Edwena

So you had a $70 bill 4 months ago in April and a $148 bill in July and you are wondering why. Everyone is wondering why you are wondering why. Everyone's has electrical bills that follow a similar routine. The difference is the air conditioner and the reason why is it takes a lot of energy to remove the heat out of your place. Set your thermostat on the temperature that makes you happy for what you are willing to pay for feeling happy.

• R P

Doesn't matter. You ran the unit when it wasn't working properly therefore you get to pay the power bill.

Yeah, if it's set at 68, and it's really hot out, you are going to burn a ton of power making that happen. It is very typical for bills to go way up in the hottest part of the summer.

It's BECAUSE it's HOT outside! Electric bills always go up in the summer and in the winter!

Expect higher electric bills in the summer months.

It's more likely to be your landlord my friend.

Correction. Ameren said to raise my temp in the summer not winter