Can a job not give minors breaks?

So, I’m a lifeguard and I work 9 hour shifts (11-8) and we aren’t given breaks. I told my supervisor that when I looked it up minors in my state are apparently supposed to have at least a 30 minute break in every 5 hour work period. He said that we don’t get breaks because we don’t “clean enough”. Can he do that? My coworkers and I are all 16 with the exception of two that recently turned 18.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Breaks are only mandatory in California. Anywhere else, they are given at the employer's option. Most places do not give breaks. Breaks are not designated by age.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

At a job where 90% of the time you are sitting down watching people, breaks don't seem quite so necessary. You obviously can get someone to cover while you use the restroom so grab a snack on the way back, that's enough.

• `
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

In my state, a sixteen year old is no longer considered a minor and works the same hours as an adult.

• 6 months ago

He is required to follow the law.

Do you sit in the lifeguard chair the whole 9 hours? Or is there a time you are not in the chair?

• mick6 months agoReport

When we’re not in the chair we’re at the greeting desk where we sign people in and we have to verify their address etc...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • xyzzy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Are you sure? Where do you live? In my state (Georgia) people 16 or older are not considered minors for the purposes of work. And neither the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) nor Georgia law require breaks or meal periods be given to workers. However, many employers do provide breaks and meal periods. Your boss most likely has a better idea of the law than you. Of course you could look for a new job.

• mick6 months agoReport

Yes, in Maryland, where I live, the department of labor says that 16 and 17 year olds “May not be permitted to work more than 5 consecutive hours without a non-working period of at least 30 minutes.”

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

the next sunny day , get all the lifeguards together and go on strike .

• 6 months ago

Isn't lifeguarding mostly one long break of sitting and watching?

• David
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Then what would happen in an emergency if you were on a break?

• ...Show all comments
    • Goldfly252000
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

WTF Why wouldn't you schedule enough guards to cover while one is on break? An intelligent boss wouldn't send them all at once.

• 6 months ago

That's a garbage line. Your state should have a department of labor or something like that to which you can report him.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.