my dog ran away and was claimed by another person and was given to her. can I press charges for theft? I have all records for my dog as we?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes, that is theft, tell the police, if they are not interested sue them in small claims court for the dog, have it microchipped for the future.

• Login to reply the answers
  • In
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

File a civil suit in your local Magistrates/Summary Court or go on Judge Judy.

• 6 months ago

You can report the case to the police who may help you get the dog back but it is doubtful they would press theft charges against that person.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

1) No, you can't press criminal charges EVER unless you work for a local, state or federal prosecutor's office.

2) You can file a police report but for what crime?

3) If she was given the dog, she didn't steal it.

4) Whether you can get your dog back or not depends on a variety of factors. You gave us basically zero information including how long the dog has been missing and how long she has had the dog.

5) You are free to file a civil suit. A judge can sort out who the current owner is. The police will not touch an ownership dispute with a ten foot pole.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

If you can prove the dog is yours, you can get the dog back.

• 6 months ago

No one stole your dog, so you can't charge anyone with theft. (Only police or the DA can do that anyway).

Was the dog chipped? If so, that will prove the dog is yours.

• BBG
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Microchips are a permanent form of identifying an animal. They are NOT proof of ownership (however they may be considered as one piece of evidence in an ownership dispute). There is nothing automatic that says a chip from six years ago determines who owns the dog NOW.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No you can't 'press charges' only a prosecutor can do that and from what you said the dog was not stolen, but 'ran away' and if it was picked up as a stray and after x number of days you didn't claim it and clearly they didn't know who it belonged to as you didn't have an ID on its collar nor was it chipped then, if the dog was legally adopted by someone else it is their dog, not yours

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Did you put a chip or tattoo on your dog?

A personalised collar?

Even if not, you'd still have a case.

Unless you 'lost' your dog for a few months and suddenly decided to get them back...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.