Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 months ago

Do any Christians know the full history of the Bible and how it came to be known as the Word of God?

Give me a detailed history not just testament of account of the disciples or the contents of what it says.

Typo: Not just the account of different disciples or the context

GIve me the version you believe in and it's history

David you know none of that answers the question do not give me the content give me the history. You do not know so you giving me all this crap to substitute.

This is something Christians should know if they believe it.

I do not know is not an acceptable answer especially if you are convinced others should believe it.

WwwdotBibleSelectordotcom · Then why would you believe it not knowing the history of it and why it was selected to be the word of god?

Annsan_In_Him · I said nothing about the content but the history. Do you even know who's word you are taking in believing that the Bible is the word of god? Did you even check the source?

No one on Earth knows the full history of the Bible and how it came to be known as the Word of God.

You are asking us to provide reams of pages of text if we are to answer such a massive question satisfactorily. The first part of the word of God begins in Genesis when God spoke, and continues through to the Greek Scriptures where the Word of God is identified as becoming the man, Jesus Christ. The Bible is differentiated from Christ, the Word, by being written 'the word of God'. Jesus declares in the Bible, "Your word is truth" (John 17:17) and He also reiterates the Hebrew scriptures by declaring that, "It is written, Man shall not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God." (Matthew 4:4)

However, the history of the Bible would take a book to explain so that question cannot be answered here as the forum does not permit such detailed text to be posted. I have read such explanatory books, but there is no way I can condense such complexity to a few paragraphs. And, indeed, why should I? Who are you - anonymous person - that I need to convince you that I know the full history of the Bible that I believe to be the word of God?

EDIT to your comment to me: Twice I mentioned "the history of the Bible" as a matter far too enormous to detail here. The content of the Bible is an integral part of its history as the content consists of 66 individual manuscript writings, composed by about 40 men over some 1,600 years. Yes, I have examined that matter and I am satisfied that the history of the Bible accords with its claims to be the word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit but I am not out to convince you as you clearly have an aggressive attitude towards this matter, appearing to be out to attack the Bible. Perhaps you are spoiling for a fight. This site is not for debates to arise. It is for a person to ask one question, for others to offer their answers, then you select one you consider to be the best answer. That is the forum you are on. I, for one, will not get drawn into arguments or debates. I have given you my answer and said that it is unreasonable to expect anyone on this forum to give a history of the Bible because that matter is too vast to cover on this forum.

There's probably no such things as "the full history" of anything in the past, no matter how well documented. For instance, I saw on the History Channel that although they know a lot about Roman bathrooms, they don't know how people could tell the difference between the men's and women's bathrooms. That knowledge has been lost in history. However, IMHO we know enough about the history of God's word.

Below are the three scriptures that fundamentally explain how we got the word of God.

1Co 14:24  But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all, 25  the secrets of his heart are disclosed, and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you. 

1Co 14:37  If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord. 

God has always given those who spoke for him (i.e. prophets) the ability to do miraculous things so that others knew without a doubt that they were from God (see Ex 4:1-9; Jn 3:2), including the ability to read people's hearts (minds).

It was those prophets one could go to the confirm if a writing was (or was not) from the Lord (actually inspired of the HS; 2Pet 1:21), which is what the ancients did. And then they meticulously copied and recopied those letters and books so that others would also have access to God's word.

For those interested in more information, Dr. Neil Lightfoot has written an excellent book, "How We Got the Bible".

https://www.amazon.com/How-Got-Bible-Neil-Lightfoo...

• Jake

A person can know many truths by reciting the rosary each day with care.

I didn't know the full history, but I have been studying different perspectives. One thing I have learned, it was formed at the council of Nicea, and Constantine didn't do it. But it was Constantine that wanted unity of faith and that why the the Nicean council was formed. The bible itself has different forms depending on which church one joins. I think I heard one church has 81 books in their Canon. Which is different than the Protestants and the Catholics. I also don't believe that because men say the Canon is closed that men of authority actually had the authority to do so.

remember..their have been at least 4 versions of the bible...