Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 7 months ago

Why are people so rude and obsessed with their phones?

Can't they put their phones away for a few hours while hanging out with friends? Are the latest duck face selfies on Facebook really more important than what's going on in front of them IRL?

I am convinced that cell phones are an addiction to many people, especially the younger generation who never lived without them.

I have a rule in my house...no phones allowed in the dining room. I REFUSE to prepare, cook and serve a meal and eat with cell phone zombies.

These last 20 years since cell phones have become an appendage to one's arm have been particularly aggravating to those of us who lived perfectly productive lives without cell phones. This does not make us old fashioned or ignorant to today's technology, it is just that people in the latter half of their lives have manners that the young folks never learned, regarding cell phone use.

Social media has a hold on so many people and I find it amazing because it is nothing more than cyber hypnosis without any real value that adds nothing to one's life. It is so unproductive.

The other day I was at a stop light. The car next to me had five young adults, all engrossed in their cell phones and no one in that car was engaged with one another as they were preoccupied with their phones. Even the driver!! The days of socializing and communicating face to face are part of our past, as people are becoming less and less socialized as cell phones take over their undivided attention.

When I am with someone and my cell phone rings, I ignore it because I am busy living in the moment. Some people actually panic to see that I am not answering my phone as I reach into my purse and stop it from ringing instead of answering it.

My phone does not own me. I have it for my own personal convenience, not every one elses.

• mom

Wednesday I was in Walmart and this woman was talking on the phone and did not stop talking until she left the store. she came into Walmart the same time as I did and left about the same time. I wonder if they sleep with their phone in their ear. people say the young kids are using their phones but it is also the older people also. the minute they get out of the car, out comes the phone and they start talking. I can stand it when they talk so loud, I am not interested in what they are saying on the phone

Smartphones are basically digital drugs. I know because I own an iPhone XS and it is not just a phone to me. It is my job (I work from home in sales), my relationship (long-distance), my fidget toy, my link to family, and much more. When I am in a social environment, I tend to swipe through my phone as a distraction because I get anxious around lots of people.

You answered your own question. They're obsessed with their phones. It's recognised as a form of addiction.

• falcon

It is hard to break this habit same as addiction

Life was so much less stressful when Snapchat and Instagram weren't around, back in 2009.

I wish I knew because I find it really annoying--it is like virtual life is more appealing than real life--kinda scary.

cause they have an ocd about it, i hate that too cause i never have anyone to hang out with cause of it

Some people have that fear of missing out (known as FOMO) and so they choose to have their device as the priority focus, regardless of the setting and the people around them.

• mokrie

So don't invite them along.