Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

How to get along with family without exposing?

I enjoy socializing with my family. Yet, when they ask about my small business I try and keep quiet because I have learned if I hype it up people tend to ask for help and I don’t like helping. For example, last time someone asked how many clients you have and when I exposed he than expected I got the bill every time we went out to dinner. Or he expected me to give up my free time to help him start a business . How do I learn to communicate with others by not exposing much?

Favorite Answer

You decide how much you want to share with anyone in your inner and outer social circle, and there is no obligation to offer up more information than is comfortable for you. Important to remember, you are not responsible for the expectations/assumptions of other people.

• `

When asked how many clients you have, say "enough to keep me busy." Keep your answers as vague as possible.

just say youd rather not talk about it

you say, "good, good,..." "how's it going with your job? …" just trun the spotlight back on them-people love that. if they are persistent then start into a long boring remarkedly specific story about one of your clients...." then their eyes will glaze over and they will change the subject.

You need to learn that 'keeping quiet' and 'exposing too much' are opposite ends of a very wide spectrum.

Why not 'expose' just a little? Most people learn to judge how much is suitable in each situation. You might want to tell your mother more, and your cousin less.