Nico asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 12 months ago

How to prevent yo-yo weight gain?

So basically I am losing significant weight by the calorie deficit diet- eating 1200 calories a day, I am not starving myself at all but I’m just eating less calorie packed foods.

So I was wondering once I reach my desired weight do I have to keep eating 1200 calories or can I eat the amount women should eat 1800 to maintain my weight without gaining?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 12 months ago

You can maintain your weight more readily by counting carbs,not calories.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Julien
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

1800 is just a rough approximation of the average, but your maintenance intake will probably be "something like that". It will definitely not be 1200 kcal, nobody needs to eat only 1200 kcal to just maintain his/her weight (I mean except a young child). But it's probably likely to be a bit below average, at least it will be below what it was before your diet: when we diet our BMR gets reduced a bit, both because our body now tries to save energy and because you've lost some muscle in the process.

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

Everyone needs a different amount to maintain. You should not have to eat 1200. I would increase it to 1500 to begin and monitor your weight. If you are still losing increase to 1800 and monitor your weight. Keep doing this until you figure out how much you should be eating.

• 12 months ago

Congratulations on your weight loss. :)

To maintain your desired weight you should aim to break even every day.

Remember 1800 is an average, it might not apply to you, you might have to eat less or more. It all depends on your height and build, and of course your activity level. So you need to calculate your basal metabolic rate and then add your activity level to that to get a more accurate number.

Also be careful not to lose weight too fast, this can mess up your metabolism, causing you to require less calories than normal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.