Trapping a raccoon?

How far away do I need to take it to ensure he does not find his way back?
Update: Why is this in Cats? I don't know where else to put it. And the darn raccoon eats my semi feral cats food.

He does not seem to bother the cats but I think they get out of his way if they are eating and he comes around.
Update 2: JC answered but it did not show up. J C answered your question Trapping a raccoon? It is generally illegal to trap and relocate a wild animal. Call your local animal control and find out. Feed the ferals during the day and see if that helps. If you have one raccoon you have more. When one leaves another one or... show more JC answered but it did not show up.

J C answered your question Trapping a raccoon?
It is generally illegal to trap and relocate a wild animal. Call your local animal control and find out. Feed the ferals during the day and see if that helps. If you have one raccoon you have more. When one leaves another one or more will just move in.

Animal control will probably catch one of my cats. Not real worried about being caught. I would dispose of it before an agency is even open.

do feed during day
Update 3: Any this raccoon thinks he belongs here as much as my cats.