nt
nt asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

Trapping a raccoon?

How far away do I need to take it to ensure he does not find his way back?

Why is this in Cats? I don't know where else to put it. And the darn raccoon eats my semi feral cats food.

He does not seem to bother the cats but I think they get out of his way if they are eating and he comes around.

JC answered but it did not show up.

J C answered your question Trapping a raccoon?

It is generally illegal to trap and relocate a wild animal. Call your local animal control and find out. Feed the ferals during the day and see if that helps. If you have one raccoon you have more. When one leaves another one or more will just move in.

Animal control will probably catch one of my cats. Not real worried about being caught. I would dispose of it before an agency is even open.

do feed during day

Any this raccoon thinks he belongs here as much as my cats.

• Sharon

I have had a similar problem with raccoons stealing cat food. If you succeed in trapping the thief, take it at least five miles away. Raccoons are much larger than cats, and intimidate them. An individual raccoon can easily eat all the food I put out for six cats, so I do my best to discourage the thieving beasts

• nt

Mine don't run away but they get out of the way and he eats their food. Neighbor shot him with a pellet gun. They are trying to trap him.

• patty

200kims...……………………….

my cats were excited last night, i noticed a 30-pound raccoon with his nose up against the kitchen door, then one of my cats ran over at full speed and jumped against the door with his feet. this scared the shy outdoor raccoon away, that, plus i was standing there.

i feed outside, too. i had three, now 2-outside female cats, and a wandering raccoon and a wandering opossum. so, i do not really care if the wild animals eat my cat food, it keeps them from being so hungry that they will eat my cats or kittens.

in my city, it is against the law to trap the animals, and city animal control will not. there are feral cat rescues who will allow you to use a cage-trap, that really works, and to return it for the deposit when you are done. moving an animal who has no off-spring two miles should be enough to keep it away. but, where will it find food everyday?

• nt

My cats are not afraid of him so I don't think that is an issue. I just need to not keep food out at night or early morning.
      My raccoon is not at all afraid of me. Ive hit him with a broom a half dozen times, he backs up a few inches and tries again.

I would say about a mile. The possums we kept catching that were living under our front porch were taken to a local cemetery and the forest preserves. Hope you can find a trap big enough.

• nt

I have a cat trap from the TNR place that I need to return. I think its big enough. My problem is my cats are free roaming and anything that attracts the raccoon will attract them.