Is the death penalty a form of retaliation?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Maybe the concept will be more palatable to you if you just try to think of it as late term abortion? Just a thought!

• Clive
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Of course it is. It can't possibly serve any other purpose. It doesn't rehabilitate anyone, and it's not a deterrent because nothing ever is.

• 5 months ago

Yes. But only according to the Code of Hammurabi.

• 5 months ago

Close, it's a form of revenge. You see it in their eyes when on TV some relative of a person who was murdered calls for "justice" and that justice is the death penalty. When they call for the death penalty, they are really calling for revenge.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

It's more about revenge, and the supremacy of the state to take a human life legally.

• 5 months ago

Yes, I think it is. For many years capital punishment was thought to be a deterrent to crime. But lots of studies have been done and it's never been shown to be a deterrent. During the GHW Bush years I heard pro-capital punishment people finally admitting it wasn't a deterrent, and for a while their argument shifted, more honestly, to 'just desserts' and retribution.

But in more recent discussions, I see they're back to deterrent.

If you listen to how pro-death people talk about it, it sure sounds like retaliation!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.