My boyfriend who is a marine left for training a week and a half ago. He’s turned into honestly a jerk. What do I do?

My Marine bf 21 is in training in a desert for a while. The first week was great. He called and texted a lot. Then we had an argument, got thru that then another one, got thru that. And now I apparently was “rude” on the phone last nite and he didn’t call or text all day. I asked if we were good and he said I was just plain rude but he was fine. I apologized and said I didn’t mean to be. he said he didn’t care and basically was an a**h*** about it. Idek if we’re gonna talk anymore. we had plans to get married when he’s back and now I’m just confused. He’s never short with me and we don’t really argue. Is this normal to go thru if he’s depressed or something and what can I do?

Favorite Answer

He doesn’t have depression, he is DOING HIS JOB and right now he needs to concentrate on that and NOT texting or talking to you. Most likely he has taken heat from his fellow Marines, especially his Sgts for being on the phone. If he can do it without getting into trouble then support what he is doing, don’t argue or talk about petty stuff.

Training for combat is about as stressful as it gets. Apart from actual combat. Try to be supportive, He doesn't want to hear your sh!t right now. He is in "fight or flight" mode in a realistically hostile environment, juiced up on adrenaline, so yeah he's gonna be a bit edgy.

thinking someone is a jerk, is not a great basis for a relationship, is it?

you have to keep calm. reason, breath... and... come on... he's your boyfriend! he looks like a cool guy! stay togheter

• Sally

Kick him to the curb and make room for a guy who treasures you. While you're getting ready for him to arrive, read this book so a man can tell you how to recognize a good guy when you meet one. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Hes-Just-That-Into-Understa...

• JoeMauerGal76 months agoReport

Thanks I’ll check it out. He’s normally a really great bf. That’s why I’m just so thrown off.