Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

Which is correct:

a) "I want to know how much is the fare from the airport to the center of Paris, and how long is the TRIP."

Or

b) "I want to know how much is the fare from the airport to center of Paris, and how long is the RIDE."

Favorite Answer

Your verb placement is wrong because you mixed the statement form & question forms.

"How much is the fare to ____?" = question.

"I would like to know how much the fare to _____ is." = statement, verb comes at the end.

"I would like to know, how much is the fare to _____?" = another question form, because of the comma (there would be a brief pause when saying this).

You wrote: "I want to know how much is the fare from the airport to the center of Paris, and how long is the TRIP." The corrected version (statement):

"I want to know how much the fare from the airport to the center of Paris is, and how long the trip is." (better: "...and how long it takes").

OR (question):

"I want to know, how much is the fare from the airport to the center of Paris, and how long is the TRIP?"

Whether you use "trip" or "ride" is inconsequential (makes no difference).

Also be careful when saying "I want". The polite way to say this (in most conversation) is "I'd like...". Saying "I want..." can come across as impatient or rude in some situations.

• alan P

Center is a US spelling. In England we would use centre. I would say ... and how long the trip is. I think Americans would me more likely to say ride. In Paris I would use French. But I once had a difficult time at a Paris main railway station getting information about how to get to CDG even when speaking French.

• alan P

Yes journey is a good word to use. Trip does imply some kind of pleasure excursion but I still think its also a reasonable word to use for travelling by taxi to an airport.

From CDG air port to Paris Opera , by bus , it takes 45 minutes at best traffic jam, €10 one round ticket.

By taxis, same time but it costs €60 or more.

• alan P

This is a question about the English language.

I would like to know the fare from the airport to Paris, please, and how long does it take?

Please could you tell me the fare from the airport to Paris and how long it takes?

These would be better constructions.