What do you recommend I do with my living situation?

I am in my early 30’s and am a hardworking professional. I live in a city where the rent is insane and I have student loans that are slowing me down. For the past 3 years my parents have been kind enough to split the rent with me which is great, but I am not saving much even with their contributions. In years past I have lived with roommates and a boyfriend. Now, I am at a point in my life where I need to cut these financial ties with my parents. Why? Because they are very toxic and controlling and use their money to keep me at bay. My options for housing are the following and I have some credit debit too.

1. Get my own place. My first paycheck would cut it and I am not sure where I would the money to buy food during that pay period.

2. Do a room share. It would be two hundred more than what I pay with my parents and this the only reasonable place I’ve found to my standards, but I would be losing my freedom. Then I don’t have a lot of guests over or anything.

3. Move into a cheap rent with a fun neighborhood, but the apartment is disgusting. When I say disgusting there are roaches in the freezer, the toilet doesn’t flush, no heat, no kitchen, but I could afford this place and safe. The draw back it is my ex boyfriend’s place and I am trying to cut ties from him as he moved to another country and if I move in then he will move back.

What should I do?

Favorite Answer

Make nice with your parents, and stay. Better that they get some benefit from your rent money than some unknown landlord. Also, take your savings and pay off your debt (unless the loan/debt is interest free).

Find a room in someone's house - a nice family. It will probably be the cheapest for you. Probably not a luxury home by any means but, it won't be forever. Ask questions. They may feed you - ask lots of questions - can you do your own laundry, (no)smoking, etc.

If rent would take up 1 entire check then you cannot afford it. Rent should never be more than 1/3 your gross monthly income and most landlords require that to qualify. You need qualifying income & a good size savings before you are remotely ready to move out.

Sounds like you need to work harder to get along with mom & dad until you make enough money to live on your own.

What do you mean when you say your first paycheck would cut it...but then you wouldn't have any food? Do you have the first, last and security for an apartment right now? If not...you don't get an apartment.

Why would he move back if you rented a place that he used to rent? Or does he own it? No heat, no kitchen, bugs, no toilet.... no way.

Roommates, and a whole bunch of them enabling you all to collectively afford a nicer place than any of you could afford alone or paired up with another, also remembering the ability doing so to split utilities and other expenses. Other than that, I suggest you look for a job transfer (or seek new employment) in a less expensive area.

You clearly have a spending problem. Address it. Also, you need a 2nd job.

How do they "keep you at bay" ??

I lived at home until I was 30 and was grateful. It allowed me to save, start my business and invest. Nobody "kept me at bay". Whatever that means.

30+ year old professionals should not need parental supervision. Yet you apparently do. Why?

• patty

rent a room in somebodies house/flat