JonZ
JonZ asked in HealthMental Health · 6 months ago

Do you know anyone with dementia? How do you cope with them?

• patty
    Favorite Answer

well I have it and your brain shuts down bit by bit. your brain stops working and all you are left with is your consciousness (your voice u talk to your self with) memory is not great. You feel dumb because your brain is not working. u have good days and bad days depending on your mood.

• Gert

My mom had dementia (then Alzheimer's) prior to her passing. It was difficult. I more or less disregarded things she did and said. When she became violent, she had to go to a nursing home.

Have a friend years ago who was very close to a friend she loved like family and she was very patient with them and never made them feel bad for getting mixed up.

As it gets worse, you have to keep the person calm by taking quietly and slowly. Otherwise he or she becomes confused, scared and angry.

There are varying levels of dementia; ranging from a person who may simply act confused all the way to someone who's near comatose.

My Uncle was, thankfully, far closer to the latter category. He would repeat himself a great deal, lose track of what he was doing, and become quite stubborn. During this time, he showed the greatest level of comfort when he was in familiar places. We did what we could, even tracking down an identical 80's model TV when his own broke.

At his worst, he became quite angry, as everything was confusing to him. It was easier to let him talk than to talk back, because he couldn't keep up. At times it was obvious that he had no idea who you were, and any number of times he referred to me by my dad's name. It just became a game of keeping my chill.