Is what the officer wrote about Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez "This vile idiot needs a round," considered a threat?

Hello, Charlie Rispoli, a 14-year veteran of the Gretna, Louisiana, police force, called Ocasio-Cortez a "vile idiot" who "needs a round, and I don't mean the kind she used to serve," referring to her past job as a bartender, according to a screenshot posted by nola.com. According to the New... show more Hello,
Charlie Rispoli, a 14-year veteran of the Gretna, Louisiana, police force, called Ocasio-Cortez a "vile idiot" who "needs a round, and I don't mean the kind she used to serve," referring to her past job as a bartender, according to a screenshot posted by nola.com. According to the New Orleans-based news outlet, his comment was a reaction to a fake quote attributed to the congresswoman claiming that "we pay soldiers too much." Both his post and Facebook account have since been taken down. Both he and another officer who liked the post have been fired. police Chief Arthur Lawson told the local news site that the post was "disturbing" and appeared to violate the department's social media policy. Although he said he did not believe it was an actual threat against the congresswoman, he promised the situation would be dealt with.
My question is this,
1. The way the officer worded it "she NEEDS a round" he did not say anything to the like of ". WILL put a round.." So technically this is not a threat right? It was rude but not actually a threat?
2. Does the police department have roght to fire him?
Update: https://www.newsweek.com/police-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-should-shot-vile-idiot-1450356
9 answers 9