Is what the officer wrote about Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez "This vile idiot needs a round," considered a threat?

Hello,

Charlie Rispoli, a 14-year veteran of the Gretna, Louisiana, police force, called Ocasio-Cortez a "vile idiot" who "needs a round, and I don't mean the kind she used to serve," referring to her past job as a bartender, according to a screenshot posted by nola.com. According to the New Orleans-based news outlet, his comment was a reaction to a fake quote attributed to the congresswoman claiming that "we pay soldiers too much." Both his post and Facebook account have since been taken down. Both he and another officer who liked the post have been fired. police Chief Arthur Lawson told the local news site that the post was "disturbing" and appeared to violate the department's social media policy. Although he said he did not believe it was an actual threat against the congresswoman, he promised the situation would be dealt with.

My question is this,

1. The way the officer worded it "she NEEDS a round" he did not say anything to the like of ". WILL put a round.." So technically this is not a threat right? It was rude but not actually a threat?

2. Does the police department have roght to fire him?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • RICK
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It could be considered a threat

Yes they were right in firing him

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

No, it's not a threat but he was fired for violation of the social media policy, not for making a threat. Cops should be held to a higher standard. Integrity and public trust are essential.

To paraphrase a supreme court decision, he has a right to speak his mind, but he does not have a right to be a police officer.

• 6 months ago

'vile idiot' isn't a threat.

'needs a round' certainly can be interpreted as a threat.

'not the kind she used to serve' reinforces the impression it is a threat.

The types of 'rounds' that come to mind are drinks, which she used to serve, and ammunition, which certainly sounds like a threat coming from someone that carries a gun.

• 6 months ago

It is a threat. But, with a knucklehead leader, you don't expect the cons. to know that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

A round of whiskey or beer?

• 6 months ago

It's no different to Madonna's quote about blowing up the Whitehouse or Kathy Griffin posing with a model Trump severed head, but hey, libertards are a protected species whereas a guy who put his life on the line every day for a decade and a half loses his job. Americoons are f**ked in the head, and still wonder why nobody takes them seriously.

• Pepper, PhD
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

You really don't see the difference? As a retired cop, I can tell you that there is much more to law enforcement than wearing the uniform. Anybody who puts on a badge is putting their life on the line but that does not make them a good cop. Cops are held to a higher standard.

• 6 months ago

As I understand it, he was fired. Obviously, it's kind of unprofessional for LEOs to make death threats on Facebook. I don't think we need to start parsing here, he showed extremely poor judgement even if he had no intention of harming anyone. Presumably his department has the typical social media rule that employees are not be a disgrace online.

• 6 months ago

I don't think the cop would ever shoot AOC, but some nutjob conservatives only need a little nudge to push them over the edge (we all know the type). Plus, your free speech rights are limited at your employer, especially when that employer is the state and you're in law enforcement.

I also think it's fvcking HILARIOUS these two punk bìtch conservatives lost their jobs because they wanted to bash the "libturds." I guess they finally learned that violent rhetoric has consequences.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

You misspelled FAR LEFT LUNATIC again.

• sam
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Yes and it is a felony.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.