Can Samsung lock my phone for not updating?

I just got a message on my browser stating if i dont update my phone it will be locked. Could this be a fake ad?

Favorite Answer

That is a scam. Samsung doesn't lock phones for not updating. Chances are that you're seeing some scareware type of site. As the name implies, this is a type of attack in which attackers try to trick you into believing that something bad will happen if you don't do whatever they want you to do. In this case, it appears that it is a spoofed Samsung message that wants you to install a fake app that may or may not be malware. Clear your browser's history and cache and forget about it. Running an antivirus/antimalware scan can't hurt.

Its fake. Samsung did do updates to encourage people to hand in their potentially dangerous notes a few years ago but I think this is just one of those standard scams that triesd to scare the less tech savvy into doing what they want to scam you.

• Rico

Of course it’s fake.

• No, they can't. Ignore it.

Update your phone.

• ?

Sounds like a scam to me.