Can you explain this Japanese writing format?

I've been learning Japanese for some time now, largely because of my interest in their political/philosophical history. I'm nowhere near fluency, and certainly can't read older Japanese literature and whatnot. But I got curious while reading up on Kita Ikki (Japanese revolutionary) and decided to take a... show more I've been learning Japanese for some time now, largely because of my interest in their political/philosophical history. I'm nowhere near fluency, and certainly can't read older Japanese literature and whatnot. But I got curious while reading up on Kita Ikki (Japanese revolutionary) and decided to take a peek at his works in the native language, to see if how much I can understand.

The image below is what I saw in few of his works I looked up and for the life of me I can't figure out why it's written this way. I'm specifically referring to this odd usage (at least it's odd to me) of katakana in the place where I assume, normally hiragana would be used, and even then is used in very oddly. I'm not Japanese savvy enough to figure this out on my own, so any language experts out there that can help?