My Dell Inspiron 15 3521 laptop runs super slow after I upgraded to 16GB of Ram. Why? It's a Celeron 100 7U 1.5GHZ.?

Update:

Is it the processor? The ram sticks match and the computer recognizes them. No virus or malware issues. Do I need an SSD drive?

Update 2:

Would the laptop operate faster downgrading to 8GB?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Adrian
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

A Celeron processor is slow, no amount of ram will help with the overall CPU speed in that case...

• 4 months ago

The Maximum limit for Dell Inspiron 15 3521 is 8GB. That means the other 8GB is being wasted.

Connectors Two internally-accessible SODIMM connectors

Type:

Inspiron 3521 Dual-channel DDR3

Speed Up to 1600 MHz

Configurations supported 2 GB, 4 GB, 6 GB, and 8 GB

• 4 months ago

Hi.Yeah,downgrade the RAM to 8Gbs & UPfrade the CPU to thefastest Your motherboard can take.

Problem 1 ) Celeron ANYTHING is a bottom-of-the-line budget processor ...

Problem 2 ) Having a huge RAM bank for the CPU to access, organize, & delegate to multiple processes is even going to slow down a decent fast CPU, combined with problem 1 You're looking at an electric brick instead of a computer.

Also, You say the system recognizes the RAM as 16Gbs. This means that the Windows version You have installed is a 64bit version, which will always run as crap on a Celeron CPU.

If You drop the RAM to 4Gbs & wipe the 64bit Windows for a 32bit version You'llnotice a serious improvement on the Celeron,but if You upgrade the CPU on the 16Gbs with the existing 64bit Windows You'll notice the best improvements.

Although I stillrecommend the CPU upgrade AND downgrading to 8Gbs of RAM.

G'Luck!!!

• 4 months ago

An SSD WOULD probably help, though!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

What size RAM, did you put in it?

• 5 months ago

CPU speed 1.5GHZ is real slow.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.