Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 7 months ago

Hill start in petrol cars Can i release the clutch to the biting point so i dont roll down and then apply gas and fully release the clutch?

• M.

Your descriptive powers are nil.

On very steep hills you might need to hold the car with the parking brake to prevent roll back, then release that as the clutch starts to bite and hold the car. I burned out a few clutches in San Francisco and got pretty good at replacing them in the garage.

It's a combination of clutch, biting point, gas and handbrake. It's all about "feel". You need to practise to get it right.

Doing what you're saying will result in endless stalling.

"about 1300 rpm if you have a tachometer" doing it by a checklist mechanically like this won't work. You know when you hear someone's engine racing? It's because they're doing it by a checklist.

The way I do it is that I wait until the car in front of me has moved, then I jump off the brake and floor the gas, then dump the clutch so I have maximum power and don't roll back

• The Devil

burn outs are fun, but I got a ticket for that.

How else would you do it?

Just don't sit there riding the clutch. let off the brake pedal and give it gas as you release the clutch. If you stall give it more gas as you release the clutch.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

I don't know, can you do that? It's all a matter of skill.

That is the idea. More difficult to put into practice.

Yeah that's how you're supposed to do it, using the handbrake for extra control

• F

Many cars now have a hill holder clutch. You press the brake hard and then they stay on for 2 seconds after release giving you time to pull away without the handbrake.

Rev the engine a little higher than idle speed (about 1300 rpm if you have a tachometer), then slowly release the clutch.