How is the concept of the soul different in CHRISTIANITY than in Hinduism?

This answer explains in detail the Hindu belief of soul.

Sorry, wouldn't load, glitch. I'll try google.

https://www.hinduwebsite.com/hs.asp

This explains Hindu belief.

• Zirp

Hindu believe in reincarnation, Christians don't (though some believe in resurrection)

I don't know.

But, in Hinduism, the soul is reborn as a baby. The Bible says that we live once and die and are judged.

• Rod

Perhaps the concept of the soul in Hinduism is not that different to "traditional" christianity's concept of it.

Traditional christianity teaches that man is born with an immortal soul that continues to live after a persons mortal body dies.

This immortal soul either goes to directly to heaven or directly to a burning hell of fire and torment depending on whether that person is saved in Jesus Christ or not.

Does the bible teach man has an immortal soul that is actually the real person inside of our human flesh/body?

Is the soul really our real emotions and feelings that stay with us forever after we die a natural death?

According to the bible the soul in man is nothing more than the "breath of life" (Gen 2:7) Our living souls allow us to breath and live on this earth -- if you don't have a living soul then you are not alive but dead along with your body !

The soul is not immortal because it's simply the breath of life connected with our mortal bodies.

Hinduism teaches that man has an immortal soul that keeps living after death and can reincarnate itself into other living creatures other than man.

Traditional christianity teaches that man's soul keeps living after death and can somehow travel to heaven to be with God or travel to hell to be tormented in fire.

If the soul can do that --- then what about that persons body and mind dead in the grave -- how can those things be permanently dead but a disembodied soul or spirit ( as some say) can live forever?

How about accepting Jesus Christ as your Saviour who died on the cross for your sins so you could be forgiven by God and have eternal life? (1Cor 1:17-18, 1Cor 15:1-4, Col 2:14 & Tit 1:2)

Jesus Christ died in his body and soul in the grave for 3 days and 3 nights but proved their was life after death by rising from the dead in his BODY called the resurrection.

Jesus came back to life in a NEW BODY not as an immortal soul and returned to heaven in his new body which every believer will receive through the resurrection from the grave one day (1Cor 15:50-54, Eph 5:14, Phil 3:21 & Tit 1:2)

Source(s): KJV 1611
  • ?

I see it different from Christianity on average, and I'm a Christian.

I looked into Vine's Expository Dictionary about the Hebrew word for soul, and it is that the soul is the "Seat of Judgment". The heart is the "Seat of Emotion". So in that way, I adopted that view. I do not use soul and spirit interchangeably like most Christians I met do.

The spirit is in everyone, they are born with their spirit. To me it represents what give us life. The English word "breath" is sometimes used in the Bible depending on the translator only. The same word for breath is also spirit. The spirit is the eternal part of us. We, being corrupted, fail to understand the eternal part of ourselves, and we place all importance on the temporary part of ourselves; the body is temporary, and we relate to the lesser part of our self most.

Source(s): bisexual Christian

Hindus worship false gods, as the only True God is Jesus Christ.

Source(s): Their souls go to hellfire.