Samuel asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Why is it recommended not to time out a dog for longer than a few minutes?

I don t understand why short time outs are more effective with dogs as when a person goes to prison or has knowledge of a long sentence you are surely less likely to offend than you are if you believe youll get a smack on the wrist. I just feel like its a very short time for it to learn, i know if I truly wanted something I d be less likely to do it if I had a day In isolation over 10 minutes.........

Favorite Answer

The purpose is to get the dog to calm down more than anything else. That only takes 2 or 3 minutes. It isn't actually to punish the dog.

Rather than 'time-outs' I prefer 'end the contact' if a dog misbehaves. They need to learn about consequences for actions (behaviours), good or bad.

Youre not a dog

A dog learned by being forced to stop doing/playing with what is giving him happy stimulation. He wants the stimulation, so he learns not to repeat the behavior, as long as you repeat the outcome.

Dogs learn better with short repetitive actions.

You would have to ask the person who recommended the time outs. My dog's trainer encourage the use of the word "no" and no time outs.

Perhaps your dog learns a lesson from a short time out, but you need a longer time out for one of several reasons: "Need help with spirit bondage and idea of being possesed? I used to read tarot cards and horoscopes and smoke and drank a lot as well as did some party drugs at university. I've also used ouija boards and seen psychic mediums too. I believe this may of lead to attatchemt from a dark entity that now often pains me. I still smoke and drink but much less now and I only occasionally read horoscopes. I've been losing my memory and having health problems but when I go to the doctors and get checked im always okay from brain to blood. I'm wondering what I can do to break spirit bondage and get my memory back after being possessed. I just don't understand why using tarot is seen as a bad thing to god and how he believes mediums are evil? As both have helped me loads and kept me going and to stay patient, and given me positivity which has been good for me.

I know it's apparently forbidden knowledge but why would a good man or woman who is nice in all areas of life be seen as evil and go to hell for reading cards and seeing a psychic. They are nice people and spiritual and potentially nicer than the average these days. I'm unsure and don't understand why so many believe and say it's evil, i dont believe a good god would send you to hell or punish you for being interested in the future. Also why would this create spirit bondage? And cause possession?"

College graduate?

• Samuel6 months agoReport

I became ill and dropped out

Dogs live in the MOMENT and have very short memories. The correction has to be tied to the action. When dogs, correct dogs (in a pack situation) there is no LONG TERM correction; it is done, and over with. Time-outs only work in a very few circumstances. The main reason to do one is to "break the behavior cycle" and/or distract the dog or, to get it OUT of harm's way..... if another dog is also involved (OR if you have LOST YOUR PATIENCE) it is better to get the dog OUT of your path (and way, than not) until YOU CALM DOWN.

• TK

Time outs for dogs? The time out is for the human, so he has a chance to calm down when he can't figure out how to present the lesson in a way that the dog can understand.

Because dogs are not people and do not understand that a time out is a punishment in the first place. Therefore a longer one doesn't make a dog understand that it did something really bad. The only real purpose of a time out for a dog is to remove it from a situation and to give it time to calm down, so there are many circumstances where a time out is pointless.

animals don't understand punishment because punishment sometimes happens a while after the actual behavior they did wrong, when an animal does something wrong like growl at another dog or person you just need to calm them down right after without any emotions attached

• Eva

Animals don't have very long attention spans and have limited reasoning capabilities. In a few minutes, they would forget what they were being punished for.