my daughter had an accident and is in need of my help,but the manager now wants her to put me on the lease cuz its been more than a week?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • R P
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Ok. So have her sign your lease.

• ...Show all comments
    • R P
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

EX-cuuuuusee me! Then the mother needs to sign the daughter's lease. Sheesh.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Do you have a question? If you are wondering if the manager can do that, if you are staying there and it is longer than a week you have been, and the lease states he can, then he can.

• 6 months ago

Well if she is moving in, then he can require she be on the lease. Or she can leave, as your lease is only for you.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

More than a week of what? Are you staying with her to help out?

Many leases state requirements for long standing "guests". Get out her lease and see what it says.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

If she is living with you and is an adult, then she must be on the lease. What is it that you don't understand about the one week maximum time limit for guests?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

A person staying with you for a short-term assist is not "living with you" because they "live" somewhere else. Not that hard a concept. Why not just ask the landlord to mind his own business, since nobody else has "moved in"?

• 6 months ago

what is the guest policy in the lease? will it be less than a month?

a week is an unreasonable limit for an over night guest.

if this will be long term (longer than a typical broken leg for example, she is entitled to the disability accommodation of having a live in aide not on the lease.

it is NOT standard for 1-3 weeks.....more than that yes...even if guest policy is 2 weeks, LL should allow a little more with permission and not require the guest to be on the lease...that is the ethical thing..

over a month, getting mail there, changing their state ID/license to that address makes them a resident...and they need to be on the lease...UNLESS it is a disability accommodation under FHA.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

ok, what's the question? Can he do this? yes

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

He can ask. You can refuse.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

This is really confusing, because you're not giving any details at all. What do you mean she requires your help cuz of the accident? Also, if she's only a week late on rent, why would the landlord want a co-signer? The only reason I can think of is she's habitually late and/or is a couple months behind and he's tired of this. It's also possible you're violating terms of her lease, and if you're staying there, he wants you on it.

All I know is, never co-sign a lease for another adult, and that includes your daughter. If the accident wasn't her fault, she can get an atty and try to get some emergency help from the other person's insurance. If it was her fault, I have no idea what to tell you.

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

i think it means moms been there a week

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

What's been more than a week?

If your daughter is still under a current lease, the landlord can't force a change to it. It's a binding contract. Once that lease goes month to month, then he can ask for a change like this and the give notice to vacate if your daughter doesn't agree to it.

• ...Show all comments
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

a short-term assistant is not "living there", in the send they're not moving in because they already live somewhere else.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If that is in the signed contract, you have to comply or move.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Everything is negotiable. If the landlord wants to try to evict someone for refusing to move after terminating their lease for this, they'e going to have a tough argument to prove in front of the judge. "Your honor, I'm throwing her out because she needs live-in help for over a week".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.