How difficult will it be for me to get disability?

So I broke my leg almost a year ago they said I couldn’t qualify unless it had been a year well I’m a few weeks away from that year and it’s still broken but I broke it in Florida where I’m from and had to move to Tennessee to my family to take care of me my license is Florida so I don’t have a tn ID i have x rays and records of my medical history but also I worked a lot under the table so I’m sure I don’t have much funding but they said I can try to get SSI also is there anyway to expedite the process because I have no resources basically this broken leg is ruining my life and everyone’s around me because I can’t work so I need to collect idk why I’m not healing but I need money for an operation and this is the only way to get it what do I need to do to make sure they don’t screw me and I can actually get disability?

ITS called... go see a Workers Comp or disability lawyer..

• Jesse5 months agoReport

I did that dudeeee they won’t take my case you call em!

• In

A broken leg is not a permanent disability. You might be eligible for some short term disability benefits and unemployment benefits, but given your sketchy work history I doubt you could get much. I am on permanent disability for the rest of my life and dearly wish I could go back to work. The boredom is unbearable, and I find myself wasting time in dumps like Yahoo! Answers.

Hire a lawyer who specializes in SSI disability claims. They are pros at getting people SSI. If you have the proof that you cannot work via documentation from your doctor, then you have a good chance at collecting.

I have a friend who got caught in the under tow of a big wave and had serious neck injuries. Yeah, she really did and was partially paralyzed for a while. Once the swelling went down, she was able to walk again. She has constant pain and numbness in her arms and hands as a result of the spinal cord injury. She tried for SSI three times and failed, but once she hired a lawyer, she go it without any problem. Her solution was to hire a lawyer.

Yes, lawyers cost money, I know. But unfortunately the way the system is set up, a lawyer has more authority to get things done than if you represented yourself. Remember, my friend had the same medical records and the same defense while trying to represent herself that the lawyer used to get the SSI approved. Go figure!!

• lucy

Yes. If you win, then they get paid, if not, then there is no charge. It is not that a lawyer has more authority, is that many judges prefer that a lawyer is there to represent a client. My late husband was a lawyer who handled Social Security cases for over 45 years before he died.

• lucy

Based on your addtl ccomments, it appears you are looking for (something) to pay you. IF, you lived in CA, NJ, NY, RI, HI, then the state has a disability program that pays you wages for being ill, or unable to work, which could be 8 to 12 weeks if pregnant, or if you had surgery and need rehab etc, then pays up to 6 months.

Now (IF) you had broke you leg while working in your prior job, then your employer's WC would have paid for all medical treatment, surgery and lost wages till you got healed. If you did not heal and got a partial or permanent disability, then would have gotten a WC settlement.

Now many (good) employers could have short term or long term disability iinsurance, that pays you a income if unable to work, be it a injury or health reason that pays up to 6 months (ST) or longer is LT. But that is a (choice) that a employer (pays) for the insurance or (not). Just like if an employer offers health insurance, vacation, PTO etc, is a benefit they offer to their employee.

Considering that your prior employer paid you under the table, then it is unlikely he had WC, or even paid NO benefits, plus paid no taxes.

https://eligibility.com/ssi

Now (how) your leg broke has no bearing on SSI. But, it is unlikely you would qualify, since you must be NOT able to work ANY job. You should look into vocational training to find work (other) than physical.

• SSI is available for the mentally challenged in all states

• Bob

Based on what I have seen from the answers that They Pelted Us With Rocks And Garbage gives here, it appears that he/she/it has sustained some brain damage.

• John

I used to be in the social work field. I'm afraid you misunderstood what you were told about the 1 year requirement.

To get either Social Security or SSI based on disability, you have to have a medical condition which prevents you from doing any kind of gainful employment *and* which will last for at least 12 months (even with medical treatment). Only rarely would a broken leg meet that definition.

Some states may still have welfare for disabled adults,in which the definition of disability is for a shorter time period. That, however, would solely be up to state rules.

You would probably be better served by contacting your state Division of Vocational Rehabilitation. They specialize in training the incapacitated for new careers, and for providing medical treatment which could get the person back into the work force.

• Jesse6 months agoReport

So basically you’re telling me I’m screwed no matter what I do

Very. Get a lawyer to help even before you make your initial application.

You must be permanently & totally disabled to qualify for disability. Since you need surgery, you will have to get that taken care of. A broken leg, even one which is not healing properly because you failed to get necessary surgery, is not "permanent & total disability."

Lots of people create online businesses, work from home, etc. You really "don't have a leg to stand on" - pun intended - for claiming disability.

Furthermore, you must reveal total income, assets, tax returns, etc. Good way to get caught for working under the table & not paying your income & other taxes. Typical sentence for tax evasion (unless you pay all taxes, interest & penalties in full) is about 3 years.

• Jesse6 months agoReport

That doesent make sense my friend broke his jaw and he got disability instantly and I didn’t have a choice they paid me under the table I didn’t ask to be it was either get paid or be homeless there has to be a way to get this what you’re telling me doesent make any sense there has to be short term

There are many jobs that you could do

If a person in a wheelchair or crutches can work, so can you

• Darren6 months agoReport

Call ssi after 1 year of unemployment, I believe you may qualify for temporary food stamps or an ebt card

It would need medical records AND some proof that you can't get around with the leg as it is.