Shelbae asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 6 months ago

Should I be a cosmetologist?

I have a passion for doing hair and makeup. I’m always trying to find new ways to apply makeup, make it look better, buying more makeup....I just love getting fixed up and fixing others up as well. In a few weeks, I will start my freshman year of college playing softball on a scholarship and becoming an English teacher. I plan on coaching high school softball in the future. I love what I’ve planned as well, but for some reason I keep being drawn back to being a cosmetologist. I don’t know what my calling is. I don’t know if I’m meant to be a teacher or do hair and makeup. The only thing that is holding me back is my mom won’t let me go to cosmetology school because she says they don’t make good money and don’t have benefits. She wants me to do something with my life that will make her look better as a parent. Which means me going to college. But I want to do what makes me happy. What should I do? Any cosmetologist out there with suggestions? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Your life belongs to you, not to your mom. That said, if your parents are going to pay for college and you're a good enough student to complete it, you can do both. Get a degree, get a job then pay for cosmetology school with your own money. I seem to recall that about 40% of cosmetologists have college degrees.

Repent and troll no more..

Sure why not do what you love

• audrey

Go to cosmetology school. It's your life. Teaching sucks any way.

• kelvin

why not do what makes you happy not her

• Shelbae6 months agoReport

I have to buy supplies and equipment and I’m only 18. I don’t have the money to buy all of that right now and she isn’t going to help me with that and she will belittle me and be mean to me forever because that’s how she is. Idk what to do.