Why is it rude to ask an older person their age but not a younger person?

What’s the effing difference between asking a younger person their age and asking an older person their age?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I think the reason has to do with at what age people become sensitive about their age. With some women, it begins at around the mid-thirties with men usually older. Young people tend to not be sensitive about their age unless it is implied as being younger than they are.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

These days it's considered rude or risky to ask any adult their age (particularly in the workplace).

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

cause theyre older is why

• 6 months ago

Elderly are sometimes super sensitive about their ages. Youngsters are proud of their ages.

So a proper person would never ask an elderly person their age for fear of embarrassing them.

Not all elderly are super sensitive however. My mum in law dated an old geezer who was proud to announce he was 99 years old. My mom in law was 96 at the time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

It's long been considered rude to ask older *women* their ages, not men. In the past, society felt the value and appeal of a woman decreased with age while a man’s value and worth increased with age. It's an old idea and may be waning.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.