Ross asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 4 months ago

How would I be able to join a tribe and document what I find and see?

I've been looking at tribes in the Amazon in Ecuador and I found the huaorani tribe. How would I be able to stay there for a month or so. I would like to create a documentary about them but I don't know how I would be able to go there without being killed or exiled

Best Answer

First, you would need to go there and spend some time with them, if they allow it, in the hopes they would come to trust you and accept your idea of doing a documentary in the future. Then the real work begins.

• David S

I've never tried but research might reveal the location. Brazil probably has a government agency dedicated to their native population. You might look into it.

• JimZ

The risk of bringing deadly diseases to them is too great. The problem isn't so much that you would be killed which is a real possibility. The biggest problem is you could bring a disease that might kill many people.

Unless you're a trained socio-anthropologist don't even try. If you went to live with that tribe your mere presence among them could totally change their life styles. Which means anything you recorded would be false data tainted by your observations.