what is the best networking equipment for home install?

• Rayal

My wifi in the house is from the "gateway" that ATT gave me. I have cat 6 cable run to all the rooms in my house but only use it for the TV (ROKU) and now that WiFi is ubiquitous I mostly use that for everything else. I do have a seperate wifi/router in the garage that is hard wired to my gateway. I use mostly cisco stuff although I have tried all kinds of routers and switches over the years. If it works it works great. When it fails don't mess with it, throw it out.

• Mmm J

Define "best".

In and around my home, I have:

a) One or two CAT6 (cabled Ethernet) runs to each bedroom, living room, den, home office and kitchen. If the room needs more than one device on the wired LAN, then there is a small Netgear (4-8 port) 10/100/1000 network switch in that room, too. The wires are home-run to a wiring closet and terminate on a larger 10/100/1000 network switch. This wiring closet network switch connects to the cable/modem/router.

All of the LAN devices (network switches, wifi router, wifi mesh access points) and computers connect to a few distributed 1500 VAH back-up UPS batteries.

b) the WiFi coverage from the router + a 3-node Nokia wifi mesh implementation for smartphones, tablets and laptops.

I work from home, can afford and need this connectivity.

Step 1: Define "best".

Step 2: Understand the things that need to be connected to your home's LAN... This will be useful for the next step.

Step 3: Design the network elements to make a shopping list. What are the speeds/feeds needed? Is wiring possible or is only Wifi allowed?

Step 4: Determine what you want to afford.

Step 5: Start buying and implementing your network design.

That's pretty vague, since there are several types of networks, and even in a residence, people can have different technical requirements. A grandma who checks her email twice a day is probably going to have different needs than a family with 24-year old triplets who like anime.