Just b/c AC is broken, does that mean heating is also broken in an HVAC system?

When the AC went out at the end of May, we were told it ran out of R22 due to a leak; this, in turn, caused the compressor to burn out. When cold weather comes, does that mean the heat pump won't work either? What about the furnace? (I recall the realtor mentioning we have both heat pump & furnace back-up.)

You rather call another HVAC technician to confirm that your compressor is really burned out, or the previous guy is ripping you off.

Unfortunately they are very, very occupied at the heat of the season.

Heat will still work

• elhigh

Your resistance heating elements (emergency heat) will work, if your system is so equipped but that's a fast ride to the poorhouse.

Heat pumps work as heaters by turning around the cycle. As air conditioners, they take heat from inside your home and pump it outside. As heaters, they take heat from outside your home and pump it INSIDE. This is done by a solenoid-operated valve that changes the direction the refrigerant flows in the piping from the compressor. As you can see, nothing about the compressor changes when it's used one way or the other - for the system to work properly, you have to have a working compressor and you have to have refrigerant.

You need the leak fixed and a new compressor, pronto.

• audrey

If you use that electric heat, expect an electric bill around $400-$600 a month. I just went thru that. Get it fixed now.

• Joe

The refrigerant (R-22) leak will put your heat pump out of service, too.

If your "furnace" is back-up electric heat, you will pay dearly if you depend on that through the winter.

You may as well fix it now.

• y

Heat pump won't if that is your system. Separate furnace will.

I'm not in an area where they use these types of systems but from what I understand, backup heat is often electrical. I would assume it will cost an arm and a leg to operate.