Highest Interest Rate With No Risk?

What is the highest Interest rate I can get on my money without risk? I got burned with a stock called SDLP (seadrill partners) a few years back chasing yield got burned and lost 12K. Glad I sold or wouldve lost it all. I'm 28 now with 70K saved, a modest job making 15 bucks an hour. No kids, or wife to delegate money to, so I'm not looking to take on major risk in the stock market with the chance of another crash coming where i'd lose 60. All I wish for is a modest 4 yield on my money without risk. The best I can find and which I'm currently in is just a 2.5 yield savings account through the

Favorite Answer

Go with the 2.5%; you're not going to do much better without risk. The highest I've seen is 3.3%, but that was something with a bunch of ridiculous rules that made it unlikely you'd get the 3.3% every month, and if you couldn't meet the requirements most months, you'd be averaging less than 2.5%.

There is no "4% modest yield." That is not a modest yield. That is such a high yield that merely seeing a yield that high is sufficient to know that there is almost certainly risk.

How much do online transcriptionists actually make?

Sites like scribie transcribe Me etc. Thinking of taking up transcription work in free time..Is it a good freelancing work ??

Other - Careers & Employment · 5 mins ago

It sounds like you bought into an unknown company without understanding what you are doing. Why didnt you stick to blue chip winners like microsoft, proctor and gamble, johnson and johnson, honeywell, on and on ..... ? They all have nice dividends also.

CD's typically never beat inflation.

• Steve

SDLP is not an unknown company. It was once worth $35. It took a hard hit a few years ago with many other gas related stock. They paid a pretty good dividend once, too.

Anyone complaining about a particular stock had too much invested in that stock...should have diversified.

• DEBS

Your mistake was not that you invested in the stock market. It is that you invested in one individual stock. Any adviser will tell you to keep yourself diversified. Yes the market will go down sometime again, but history also says it will go up again and much higher. It always has. There is no reason to believe it won't after the next crash. If you were 60 years old that would be a concern. Being 28 you can withstand these short term drops and should.

That said, a financial adviser can help find you the best investment for how risk adverse you are (you'd be considered very risk adverse based on what you said here.) Yes it will cost you a few dollars, but it's worth it. You pay for things every day you aren't an expert on such as working on your car or even the expertise it took to make the device you typed this question on. Don't be cheap here.

• Eva

You might be able to find a higher rate on a long term CD of $25,000 or higher. Blue Chip dividend paying stocks may also give you a higher return, but as you've found, no stock is without risk.

I think the best advice I can give you is to find a fee-only financial advisor. The difference between fee-only and any other is that they charge a flat fee and do not try to sell you product that they earn a commission by selling.