Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 5 months ago

If my ancestors are Scandinavian does that make me too?

When people ask my ethnicity or what my background is, would I say Scandinvian? Although I was born somewhere else and have lived there my whole life?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Alan H
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No. But you are of Scandinavian descent

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Ethnicity and nationality are two different things. So sure, say you're of a Scandinavian ethnic background if you so choose to.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No it doesn't.

YOUR ethnicity is the language and culture YOU were raised in

• steve
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

I am traced back to Scotland but if asked I say the country of my birth which is England.

If I am in Scotland or abroad and come across scots and fancy a party I tell them My surname and they know I am of Scottish origin somewhere in the past so invite me and who ever I am with along with them.

The Scots and English don't really hate each other only some of them do.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

I can be traced to Scotland and Germany several centuries ago, but I say that I am an American.

• David
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I would just state that "I am of Scandinavian heritage" and let that suffice.

• Dr. D
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It is correct to say your ancestors were Scandinavian, but you're American, or whatever country you were born in.

In my case, my mother was Hispanic and my father was Italian, but I'm American.

• 5 months ago

The answer is that you ancestors cam over X generations ago from (wherever), and you were born in (whatever part of the USA) and raised in (whatever parts of the USA). That covers both your genetic heritage and your social upbringing.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes, that is your background. However, if you say "I am from Scandinavia" that would be incorrect.

• 5 months ago

only for your background if you didn't live in Scandinavia then you are not from there but have a Scandinavian background.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.