Any recommendation on how to get rid of ants in the house? I'm using borax/suger/water mix ... any other suggestions?

• 1 year ago

the borax ans sugar is an ant trap substance ppl used for yrs and at agway or home depot etc they have these ant traps same substance but if its to much exterminate first then maintenance traps take garbage out nightly all foods in to jars or tupperware including cereals crackers etc also rotting wood attracts ants and their other member of that family called termites! check rotting woord sills foundation frames of doors etc

1 year ago

Half a teaspoon of icing sugar and half a teaspoon of baking soda and mix the 2 powders together in a tablespoon...using a small stick or match. You can't tell them apart. I say icing sugar because the sugar is slightly moist so will stick to the particles of baking soda.

. How it works.

The worker ants ( in this case the foragers looking for food) find the sugar which you spread with your fingers on a thin trail near a wall the ants are always seen to be walking along. The ant CAN TASTE sugar and can't taste the baking soda that is stuck to the sugar so carries the whole thing back to the nest to feed the Queen. The Queen is essentially the nest. All she does is lay eggs, that become worker ants or soldier ants or nurse ants or ants that run the ant KwikyMart.

The queen is the only ant that eats. The rest of the ants take orders from her as they have a limited life span of 14 days as they self digest their baby fat. Once 14 days are past, they die off and are replaced by a new worker ant.

. Only the queen can live for 3 or 4 years and lays some 60,000 eggs per year.

AS she is the only ant that EATS she is being fed by the worker ants. Sugar is her main source of energy.

The baking soda react to the ants stomach acid the same way as baking soda reacts to vinegar(another acid) It fizzes alot. The ant has a hard shell body so when the fizzing happens the ant EXPLODES. There is no substitute queen so the worker ants lose their sense of purpose as they are not told what to do each day. They forget their tasks.

I watched ants outside the nest because the queen is "WAY DEEP INSIDE". I watched the worker ants walk around in a circle for 4 days non stop until they died. Usually there were younger ants to clean up the dead bodies so you never see anything..but these ones had none of that. Their motors stopped working. It was weird.

So within 14 days after the ants feed the queen HELL BREAKS LOOSE once the queen is dead.

The mixture is not harmful to the dog or cat or baby after all it is baking ingredients...for a cake.

Cheap and in most kitchens. Permanent to as it will do as many nests as there are queens at the same time. To any black sugar ant, this is their poison.

Having the ant trail is necessary so other ant find the same food source and take back the bait to the queen. The sooner she latches onto the baking soda the sooner she dies. Ants will haul the dead bodies away too. so it is self cleaning. They don't need water . They have it already stored as small micro droplets. The sugar bait works in EVERY SEASON. This is their main energy food.

Red ants are different . They are meat eaters so I was thinking baking soda mixed in with a drop of blood might work for them. As they were outside, I poured motor oil on the nest as their nest is usually a pile of straw bits or in tree roots. (my case it was in a wood log so in went the motor oil and that mucked them up.)

• 1 year ago

Buy a can of Raid.

• y
    1 year ago

I have had much better success using combat gel then Terro, for ants that come inside.

1 year ago

We had the best success with Terro brand ant traps,same as Anonymous did. We also used the liquid bait they make, like David.

It helps, too, if you make it so there's nothing for them inside. Rinse dishes immediately, keep counters clean and floor swept, like that.

• 1 year ago

A chemical spray around the outside of the house. Not pushing the brand, but 'Home Defender' might help. It screws up the chemical trail ants leave behind.

• 1 year ago

I've had good luck with Amdro stuff. They make baits, liquid,dry or stakes for outdoor use. They also make a home perimeter treatment. All of their stuff works.

1 year ago

I find those ant baits to work well. I recommend the Terro brand. Just Ieave them wherever you see a traiI of ants. Ants couId be a sign of something bigger though. Maybe you need to do a thorough cIeaning, or maybe you have termites. I recentIy had an ant probIem and it turns out they were eating the termites in the wall that we couldn't see.

• 1 year ago

Go to the grocery store and buy something called Terro. It is a liquid bait that the ants will take back to the colony and once the queen eats it she will die. It destroys the entire colony and usually works in two or three days It works really well and is simple to use.

• Mark
    1 year ago

You can buy "traps", but borax is good.