Phan asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

Restaurant: We’re using two different Fryers: 1 for shellfish and the second for chicken. But we use the same frying powder. Is this okay?

Favorite Answer

If the coating that is used for seafood is the same as the coating used for chicken and the products are not separated this is DANGEROUS.

I would make a call to the Health Department and report it.

Let me guess...they use the same fryer for chicken, seafood and fries!...I bet that tastes wonderful!...(also DANGEROUS)

• Phan6 months agoReport

Related to the boss so I couldn’t do that lol, the fryer is separated at least :D... one for chicken and the other for shrimp

Powder? Frying is done in oil, not powder.

• Phan6 months agoReport

No not the actual frying process I was asking about the coating

• denise

The coating?, yes this is OK.

Hahahahahaha. Shellfish and other meats must NEVER be cooked in the same fryer - no matter what oil you use. You really should take some cooking classes.....

• Phan6 months agoReport

And I never said anything about oil either. And you can use the same oil it just needs a disclaimer in the menu

Wait a minute... you're saying that because both fish and chicken are dipped into the breading, someone allergic to seafood might get sick. Correct?

Well, that is the LEAST of your worries. Once raw chicken or seafood has come in contact with that breading, the leftover breading should be thrown away. There should NOT be a giant tub of breading that is being used all day long. NO, NO, NO! A small amount of breading should be taken from the tub, per order, and whatever is not used should be discarded.

what the heck is frying powder???

• Phan6 months agoReport

It’s like an already made breading that you coat the food in before we fry it

• Mark

"Frying powder"? What in the world is that? Do you mean "coating"?

• Phan6 months agoReport

I don’t work there anymore. I told my boss before I left but he says it’s not cross contamination so it doesn’t matter. But I believe some people who are highly allergic will have a problem with this but I’m not sure.