Before the internet , if you wanted to see what , for example, "The Great Wall of China" looked like and read about it, how would you do it?

and now the internet , mainly sites like Youtube, Wikipedia, Google images, etc has gotten so good, you can virtually travel anywhere in the world now. I was just WATCHING a walking tour through Beijings Forbidden city and walking along the Great Wall of China. and all the people were having a view of who was in... show more and now the internet , mainly sites like Youtube, Wikipedia, Google images, etc has gotten so good, you can virtually travel anywhere in the world now.

I was just WATCHING a walking tour through Beijings Forbidden city and walking along the Great Wall of China. and all the people were having a view of who was in front of them, while i was watching them like little ants from a helicopter shot seeing a much better view of everything and not having to pay money to fly over there and stay in a hotel , etc. and can read about it all i want on Wikipedia or elsewhere.
Update: SO BIG QUESTION FOR ME IS, WHY WOULD I WANT TO PAY ALL THAT MONEY AND GO THROUGH ALL THE FRUSTRATIONS OF TRAVELING OVER THERE TO SEE IT FROM THE GROUND LEVEL , WHILE SPENDIND MY PHYSICAL ENERGY AND MONEY , WHEN I CAN SEE IT BETTER AND READ ABOUT IT IN DETAIL ONLINE IN THE COMFORTS OF MY OWN HOME?