John asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

Legal Help. My father moved in my sisters boyfriend a few years ago. He now wants him gone?

My father let my sisters boyfriend move in a few years back. My sister was 'in love' and my father lent a helping hand by allowing him to live there. 3 years later, he has become a burden on the entire house, not to mention a burden on my sis. They had a little girl a year and a half ago and this has put my father in a hard place. If he kicks out Justin, my sister will most likely leave with him, leaving my two nieces for my dad and mom to take care of. My dad has concerns that Justin will try and fight to stay there. He's looking into legal action by evicting him. My thought - Dad, can't you just kick him and out say hit the road jack? Also, my brother passed away in 2004, and i believe my Dad doesn't want to lose another kid by kicking out her boyfriend because pop knows that she'll leave with him. My sis is 29-30 and Justin is a year or so younger. Their relationship was formed off of lust and drugs. As of recently they were both on methadone but he has since been kicked out of program and she continues to take it. The situation is getting worse. My father is woken up almost every night by them fighting/arguing and he's reaching his breaking point. It's not fair to him, it's not fair to my mom, it's not fair to me - the whole situation is bad, and is getting worse.

• Foofa

This doesn't seem like a legal problem (because if "Justin's" name isn't on the deed/lease and there's no rental contract he can just be kicked out). The problem is your codependent sister who'll imperil her sobriety and her child's safety by following this fool into the streets. If I were your parents I'd probably tell your sister that they're going to kick the bf out and if she tries to follow him they'll challenge her in court for custody of her kid. But they have to be willing to follow through on that because homelessness and drug abuse are no place for their daughter.

Not sure where these two other nieces came from, but yeah, they won't have a junkie daughter around to babysit those kids so they'll have to make other arrangements. One wonders what you do all day and whether you're available. IIBH this sounds like YOU want this guy out, that your father isn't sure about that and that your mother apparently has no opinion on anything. If you're over 18 maybe you should the one to move out.

He actually has to evict him through the courts cause he's been there so long and was invited. After he is served he can actually still stay there for up to 30 days

Your dad is about to learn what a big mistake this was. I'm sure he was well intended, but most adults would not have said yes. Also, you mentioned 2 nieces? So she has another child with another guy?

Anyway, if your dad has looked into eviction, he's probably already learned that this is a lot harder than most realize. You can't change the locks and toss belongings in the yard. In most states, this will require a court hearing. Also, I don't get why he doesn't want to kick your sister out, as well. This isn't a legal issue, but a parenting one. Her life is a trainwreck, and that's because she hasn't been held accountable for some pretty bad choices. Baby #3 may pop up before this stuff even gets started.

I agree he needs legal counsel. One thing he could do to jumpstart the process is search their room any time they're both gone. It's his home and he has this right. If he finds any meth, call the cops.

The kids are a separate issue. Wait and see how it plays out. But your parents (you didn't say much about your mom) have got to stop enabling your sister.

If I was her father then I would tell her to get out of my home, and her loser boyfriend too. Problem solved!

She is a horrible child, so I think she is better off gone.

Anyway I am not old enough to be her dad. I am old enough to be her partner, but I think she damaged goods, so I wouldn't want her.

Does her boyfriend have a lease? If not then your dad can tell him to get the f**k out. He can try to fight it all he wants. He won't win!!!

If he has a lease then your dad would have to wait until it expires before evicting your sister's boyfriend. I think leases can be either made monthly, or yearly, for tenants.

If your sister goes with her loser boyfriend then that would be great. Your dad will be able to get his beauty sleep, and everyone else can get a good night sleep too.

Lastly regarding your sister kids I think your dad should consult with a lawyer.

Source(s): I am a male.
  • `

This is up to your father to handle. If he's looking into "legal action" to remove the boyfriend, your father is doing everything he can to remedy the situation.

Thank you for the advice. I believe that's the route he's going to take. This has to be put to bed. My sis can't have a life with this guy, she just can't. He can never provide for her, the things she wants in life. AND my dad is too old to be dealing with this kind of stuff.

• ?

Your parents (and your father in particular) have been enabling this poor behavior on the part of your sister and her boyfriend. Basically, until your parents are willing to let go, there isn't much that can be done. It's not fair, but the difficulties are self-imposed.

The solution is obvious. Your father has to kick the boyfriend out. And if your sister follows, then so be it. If there's a way to hold onto the 2 babies, do so, but let your sister go if she so chooses. Your father can tell his daughter (your sister) that there's always a place for her if she wants to return (WITHOUT her boyfriend, and WITHOUT any drug use).

The alternative, is that THESE 2 LEECHES WILL DRAG THE ENTIRE FAMILY DOWN with them... that means your parents, you, and the 2 infants.

Ask your father to check in with the local legal aid office in your area. They might give free 1st time consultations. But your parents have to be willing to let go. You cannot save everyone in this world-- not even your children if they don't want to be saved.

Best wishes.

if theyre fighting like that i would tell thern they need to get another place cause hes tired of thern waking hirn up

Your FATHER is an ADULT and should know how to get eviction done he needs to talk to the police. IF you father allowed the conception within his house he can either raise the grandchildren or call CPS. I mean it is hi s problem not yours.

• Tina

My only advice to you is to tell your dad that he has to consult with a lawyer.