asked in TravelAir Travel · 6 months ago

when and why did they ever allow people to smoke on passenger jets? and in the air port and where else?

what happened to make things change so much? and WHEN?

in fact I remember in my high school they allowed people to smoke in a "smoking section" during lunch! (and most all of them were not even old enough to legally smoke! I cant believe that now. but when and why changed?)

• RICK
    Favorite Answer

When I first flew you could smoke in any seat on the plane

Then in the 1970s they put the smoking section in the back of each section, so even if you were setting in the non smoking front seats of economy you got second hand smoke from the rear if business class. Then in the 1990s they started banning smoking on sdhort flights, then all domestic flights then in 1999 they banned smoking on all flights (actually went into effect 1 January 2000)

Before the 1970s you could smoke almost anywhere. Schools, stores, resturasnts, Drs office waiting rooms, hospitals, movie theaters all allowed smoking

• F

It seems crazy that you were allowed to light naked flame actually on a plane, especially nowadays when 100ml of shampoo is considered deadly. I can't remember any actual plane crashes being blamed on a fire caused by smoking, but there must have been some.

• Zirp

Why they allowed it? Because "everybody" (as in 90 % of adult males, and quite a lot of females) was doing it, and banning was considered "not hospitable". Teachers would smoke in class. Advertising had convinced rebels to see smoking as a sign of freedom.

Despite the fact that 10% of the population was allergic to tobacco-smoke, "the market" ignored them. Here in the Netherlands there were maybe 10 or 20 bars where you couldn't smoke. We have hundreds now , but only because a courageous mailwomen sued her employer to demand clean air to breathe at work

You may not be aware, but smoking's not very good for you... and people who don't smoke don't want to be exposed to the smoke from cigarettes.

It's also a fire risk, as cigarettes burn.

So, for what now should be obvious reasons, smoking in airplanes (small tubes with recycled air) has been prohibited.

• In

Smoking was far more common in the 1960's and 1970's and people smoked just about everywhere. The Surgeon General released his warning about cigarette smoking in 1964, and social acceptance began to drop to the point now where smokers have been banished to the outdoors with the other animals. I didn't fly for the first time until 1999 so I never say ashtrays in airline seats, but I remember barber chairs having an ashtray in the armrest.

• Daniel

"The U.S. ban on inflight smoking began with domestic flights of two hours or less in April 1988, extended to domestic flights of six hours or less in February 1990, and to all domestic and international flights in 2000. In March 1995, the United States, Canada, and Australia banned smoking on international flights traveling between those countries."

Smoking at other locations has been progressively banned since the 90s, depending on jurisdiction.

Why was smoking allowed? Because decades ago, more people smoked and it took a while for people to realize the harmful effects of smoking and second hand smoke. Laws had to be implemented gradually to appease smokers.

• CharP

It changed incrementally over time. There were smoking sections in the rear of planes until the 90's I believe. Bars were the last to go.

I remember when people could smoke on planes. In the 1960s and 1970s you were allowed to smoke anywhere on a plane. It was either the late 1970s or early 1980s the rules changed to where the smoking section was in the back of the plane. Then in the 1990s the rules changed to no smoking on planes at all.

I remember in 1991 taking a job where people were allowed to smoke in the office. Roughly 2ish years later they moved the smokers outside.

The changes are correlated to proof that smoking was unhealthy/ contributor to lung cancer. It wasn't until the very late 1990s into the 2000s that it was discovered that second hand smoke was a health hazard. I recall smoking being allowed in restaurants up until around 2000ish, at least in New Hampshire where I was living at the time. Smoking rules changed at the state and local level, some places moved slower than others.

• Troy

It changed along with our changing understanding of the full health impacts of inhaling tar and nicotine on a regular basis, especially on those who have bodies that are still in the growth stage. I was one of those smokers in the indoor smoking area in 1986. By 1988, we were not allowed to smoke on school grounds and would walk across the street at lunch and at breaks. I have since quit the nicotine habit and do not allow smoking in my household, but I do allow it on my back porch should a visitor feel compelled to smoke while at my home.

The change was gradual, and influenced by the knowledge that smoking definitely wasn't harmless. Check (for example) imgur for old cigarette ads: https://imgur.com/gallery/9TM7z

• In

I have a friend who smoked Lucky Strike, but I preferred Chesterfields.

I was a smoker on planes long ago. In fact my first flight as a child I sat close to a man with a cigar - lots of smoke. But the main reason smoking was banned was fires on planes.